Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts choicecopyguy's Avatar
    L3 is a scanner error. When you turn it on watch the scanner and see what happens.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    SF-2214 (I got it for free)

Yes, just lift the lid then press start. Watch through the glass to see if the scanner moves smoothly across (it probably won't).

Next power off, unplug, and remove the glass. Gently grab light source #1 (the one with the lamp in it, but don't touch the lamp) near where it attaches to the scanner cable and manually move it through it's full travel. Feel for rough areas of the travel. Often the lubricant on the rails gets thick and crusty. Clean the entire length of the front and rear rails, and lubricate each rail with 3 or 4 drops of 30W straight weight motor oil (like you use in the lawn mower).

Confirm that the scanner cable (aka: wire rope) is attached, and snug, and not overlapped on the drive drum (where it is coiled). It is not very easy to restring the scanner cable, so don't remove it unless you've got a good reason.

Lastly check the Home Position Sensor. Along the rear frame at the end of the scanner rail you should see a black plastic "U" shaped sensor. There is a flat feature on light source #1 that passes through the "U' shaped part. This is how the scanner knows it's at it's starting point. This is how the machine knows there is an L-3 error. The sensor must be blocked at the beginning of the scan, it must remain unblocked for ~6 seconds while the scanner moves to the end then returns, and it must be blocked again at the conclusion of the scan. The home position sensor is an optical device. A small LED shines across the gap to a receiver. When the light is blocked the receiver responds to the darkness. Dirt in one of these sensors can trick it to think it is blocked all the time. Just take a small brush to brush out any dust bunnies.

Well that was a lot to absorb all at once. Pay attention to how the scanner moves, then come back and describe it to us. =^..^=

It's OK to test the scanner live with the glass off, as long as you keep your hands out of the way of it.
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 07-18-2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: inability to speel.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Pilgrim
    Wow! Wow! Wow!

Your golden man!

Will let you know what gives.

Pilgrim

Paper Clip?

Hello again,

Well here goes… I did as you said and removed the glass without any problems, but guess what happened on the way to the farm?
    Someone had attached a paper clip on the end of the of the scanner cable where it attaches to the scanner assembly arm. This effectively jumps the spring at the end of the cable and transfers the tension directly to the scanner assembly arm bypassing the spring. I think may be this was done to overcome any excessive resistance between the rail at the back and the scanner assembly? There are also some light scratch marks on the metal plating under the scanner assembly. Apparently the bottom of scanner assembly is dragging on the metal plate… this may be why someone "installed" the paper clip.

I cleaned the single rail at the back and the curved plastic track under the scanner assembly (they were actually very clean to begin with) and applied some KY… I know, just let it go. I removed the paper clip in an attempt to return things to the status quo ante, in order to reduce the variables. The scanner assembly moved smoothly through it's full travel, without any undue resistance and performed well doing optical simulations 1-3 and 1-4. Likewise simulations 1-2, 5-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-4, 5-5 and 6-2 all completed satisfactorily.

The problem is manifested during optical simulation 1-1. In fact nothing happens during simulation 1-1. I basically get the same result as with simulation 1-2 i.e. OPC drum lamp and toner empty lamp are on.

As I said in my previous post, the little red dude comes on as soon as the unit is turned on and remains on as long as the unit is on.

FYI: When I attempt to run a copy, paper is pulled up and out of the cassette tray about 5 inches, but then the unit shuts off after the lamp comes on for about .25 seconds.

If I have used incorrect terminology please forgive… I am not trying to rename things; I’m just not sure what all the "thingies" are called.

Well that’s it, I hope I haven’t been too lame in my description of the problem, and I am sure hoping you can suggest what I might do next.

This machine and I are starting to become friends. Remember this is all new to me and like my dad said "a change is as good as a rest", so I am enjoying this.

Regards,
    Pilgrim

Technician
    Try to make a test copy from the bypass tray and if it passes through without paper jam, then there's nothing wrong in your PS clucth.
    If the paper jam occurs only when you are using the paper cassete tray, then you have to replace the rubber paper feed rollers (tires only are now available) and the vertical feed rollers should be properly clean and/or replace.
    We have the same analysis with blackcat4866, too......

Technician
    Do a simulation check on the home position sensor. This is the U-shape sensor just below the scanner assy at home positon. See if it is okay. Probably it needs just a little bit of cleaning to remove dust....See if this works so I can get back to you.....

Pilgrim
    I don't think it's jamming, it is just stopping.

I had already cleaned the sensor per a previous poster. I cleaned it again though just in case.

I checked the MHPS and LHPS sensors with optical simulation 1-2. The OPC Drum Lamp (MHPS) and the Toner Empty Lamp (LHPS) both came on indicating satisfactory sensor operation for both sensors.

Regards,

Pilgrim
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 07-19-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts choicecopyguy's Avatar
    The paper clip was put on at the factory. Make sure the sensors also turn off when the scanner is moved out of home position.

Pilgrim
    Is there a simulation to check if sensors turn off when the scanner is moved out of home position?

I guess I should leave the paper clip on then?

Regards,

Pilgrim

Service Manager 100+ Posts deep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Is there a simulation to check if sensors turn off when the scanner is moved out of home position?

I guess I should leave the paper clip on then?

Regards,

Pilgrim
    Use simulation 1-2 to check their ON/OFF state. If the scanner and lens are at home position, then drum lamp and toner lamp will display (ON state) or vice versa.

The L3 is a scanner return error. In some occasion, it says normal when using the simulation mode to test it. But in actual operation, there is a trouble exist. Try to make a copy (do not care about the paper jam signal) and notice the scanner movement to see if it move smoothly when it move backward.
    Kenny