Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Black Dev in Colour Dev Units

Quote Originally Posted by Leebs14 View Post
    We were asked to do a chargeable service call in our area by another dealership a few hundred miles away on a MX2610, they said the machine needed new cyan Dev, new drum and charge kit and they would send the parts.

When our tech got onsite he found they had sent black Dev, when he queried it they told him they always use black Dev instead of colour Dev as the cost saving is huge and you simply run 150 test copies of the test chart or some sky shots and it will add toner and be ok, he did it and said that after about 200 pages the print quality was good and he then ran the 25-02 on the cyan and all seemed to be ok.

We've never come across this before, on the face of it I can see the cost saving, has anyone else got experience of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The image sensors only see the density not the color. So the developer with no toner should be the same used for the colors.
    Then the only problem is to get the black toner out. Work well on Konica Minolta. Except for the image that seem very dark after.
    Fine for office color but for graphics a slight problem.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ok an update to my original post.

We use a MX3111 in our office and it's been I need of a little TLC so today I gave it a full PM and replaced the 4 drums, 4 charge kits and all 4 devs using black Dev in all colours.

Started machine up and ran 500 copies of the katun colour test chart and the colour cane back as it ran and toned itself up, I then reset all the counters and ran the 25-02 Dev simulation when the copy quality looked good, then ran through the other calibrations etc and the quality is bang on, it's printing really sharp and bright colour quality.

So 4 drums @ £13.50 each, 4 charge kits @ £8.75 each, 4 black secs @ £15.85 each, so total cost £152.40 plus a pack of paper and some toner.

Saving £300 ish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technician

It Works!! been doing it a while now.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

add:
    My opinion is that the toner color and black and white at the SHARP on all the latest models of the same.

According to the developer:
    The black DV MX2610 unit he cast black DV MX27FVBA. by weight for 2610. All the works. SIM 25-2 was successful.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Let me get this straight... , so you put black dev in ..let's say magenta dev unit ,run 200 sky shot to empty the black toner and then sim 25-2, but if your dev is fill with magenta toner it should pop a ee-el code ,, no ???

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by foudl View Post
    Let me get this straight... , so you put black dev in ..let's say magenta dev unit ,run 200 sky shot to empty the black toner and then sim 25-2, but if your dev is fill with magenta toner it should pop a ee-el code ,, no ???
    No!! Lol...put your black dev into your magenta unit or what ever then set up as usual with 25-2 once completed then run your sky shots to swap out the black toner with the magenta. The toner density sensor just detects toner level not colour so it doesnt know its not magenta dev so set up as if it was magenta. So technically you are not over filling the dev unit with toner you are just naturally replacing the black with magenta as it automatically replenishes the toner level so no ee-el etc. Hope this helps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So what are the customers thoughts when you run 250 sky shots?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copyguy1 View Post
    So what are the customers thoughts when you run 250 sky shots?
    Never had an issue with a customer, most just leave you to get on with what you're doing. Whats the worse thing that could happen, id have to credit them 200 or so copies which at £0.0375 a copy equates to all of seven or eight quid which is still a damn good saving when a bag of colour dev is almost £100 a go.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Holy hell. You know what? I'm calling Sharp on this, and seeing their opinion on this.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Black Dev in Colour Dev Units

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    Holy hell. You know what? I'm calling Sharp on this, and seeing their opinion on this.
    They will probably start charging more for black developer. Do you think they might recommend this? I doubt it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=