Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MX2640 taking firmware backwards

Was wondering if anybody has taken firmware backwards. I updated this copier to newest firmware and am having problems with it. When customer enters accounting codes it will intermittently lock up with Please Wait in the display. When I am in sim mode I sometimes get a page that does not have the sub codes, or when exiting sims it will say exiting simulation and just hang. When any of this happens I have to use the main switch to power off machine. Would like to take it back to previous firmware but not sure if it can be done. Any insight is appreciated.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MX2640 taking firmware backwards

Re: MX2640 taking firmware backwards

I haven't tried it on Sharp.

Kyocera and Konica Minolta write very detailed firmware bulletins specifying what versions you can back from/to, and how to do it. I imagine that Sharp is the same way. It will matter very much which version from and which version to. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts nottoosharp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mttech View Post
    Was wondering if anybody has taken firmware backwards. I updated this copier to newest firmware and am having problems with it. When customer enters accounting codes it will intermittently lock up with Please Wait in the display. When I am in sim mode I sometimes get a page that does not have the sub codes, or when exiting sims it will say exiting simulation and just hang. When any of this happens I have to use the main switch to power off machine. Would like to take it back to previous firmware but not sure if it can be done. Any insight is appreciated.
    Maybe the firmware file you used was corrupted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Sounds like a bad update. Try update again from a freshly downloaded firmware file on a empty usb.

Is Customer using built in accounting or an add-on like paper cut? Could be compatibility issue. I have applied older firmware on other sharps for testing and had no adverse effects.

Repair God? not quite 100+ Posts fireater's Avatar

use the firmware recovery method .. with the dip switches .. this forces all firmware to be rewritten. not just updated.. dunno about downgrading tho. never tried it
    I fix copiers ...Well Sorta

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So I updated this copier with fresh firmware and using the CN dip switch method. I am now able to access all my sims but still having issues when it boots up or powers down using the power button by the display. They are using the internal accounting mode but will still intermittently lock up with Please Wait message. When powering down with top button you can hear the fuser pressure release and then it hangs with Turning Power Off Message. When exiting a sim that reboots copier it hangs with Simulation Finishing message but you do hear the pressure release. Sharp told me I could take firmware back to previous version but it made no difference. I am thinking SD card now but looking for other ideas. I am not sure if the boot up and boot down are held on the SD card and forgot to ask Sharp.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So, Sharp recommended replacing SD and CF card. I know the SD cards seem to have a high failure rate but was wondering if anybody has had problems with the CF card. Boot info is held on both.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Took a chance and the SD card solved problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If you need another SD card in the future I have come up with a way to make your own factory replacement sd cards. ALot cheaper than buying from Sharp.