Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    AR162 Light copies

AR162 Light copies

Picked up a customer a few months back that had this machine sitting in their warehouse for quite a few years. I replaced the developer and put in an new OEM toner cartridge due to light copies. Customer call back this morning and said the copies have gone light again. I haven't worked on a Sharp model in such a long time but I do remember that when changing dv the sim mode was 25-1 I didn't see a sim mode for this model in the manual so I was assuming that it calibrated after power up? Did I screw something up on the dv replacement or am I possibly looking at a bad toner sensor or toner motor? Like I said not much experience on these so any help would be appreciated.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    AR162 Light copies

Re: AR162 Light copies

Here are just a few possibilities:

The separation static eliminator is shorting to ground.

The grounding spring pops out at the s/t unit rear.

Uneven developer brush on the mag roller due to moisture clumping the developer. Customers office gets below 55 degrees.

Copier slopes to the rear, leaving less developer at the front of the developing unit.

Upper developer seal curls under displacing developer on the mag roller.

Heavy toner buildup on the upper fuser roller.

Right door doesn't close tightly to the side of the copier (2mm gap). Pressing against the door temporarily fixes problem.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

hand crank the toner cartridge about 5-6 turns tip it side to side a couple of times and then put it in the machine and run 5-10 copies if they start looking good check the toner motor the hub can break off the motor. shine a light in where the toner cartridge goes in and you might see what I mean GOOD LUCK

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    AR162 Light copies

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcavvet View Post
    hand crank the toner cartridge about 5-6 turns tip it side to side a couple of times and then put it in the machine and run 5-10 copies if they start looking good check the toner motor the hub can break off the motor. shine a light in where the toner cartridge goes in and you might see what I mean GOOD LUCK
    Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more towards the machine not feeding toner. Copies were good after the dv change a few months back so probably not feeding toner properly. I'll check the toner drive hub for sure. Again thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    AR162 Light copies

Try replacing the drum, Drum will go bad after sitting idle for the amount of time you stated in your OP. I've had this problem before
    with similar circumstances and it was the drum.
    When I started servicing copiers they used toaster ovens for fusers.....I'm old

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If all the above doesn't pan out for you I do remember restringing a lot of transfer corona wires on that model for light copies.

Remember to clean the polygon motor reflector surface

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Yeah reach up there above the drum area clean the slit glass off that the laser is shooting thru. The new toner and developer could have dusted the slit glass

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    AR162 Light copies

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcavvet View Post
    Yeah reach up there above the drum area clean the slit glass off that the laser is shooting thru. The new toner and developer could have dusted the slit glass
    Finally getting around to replying to the fix on this issue. I took all of the above suggestions one step at a time. First I cleaned the laser slit class with much improvement. Second I restrung the T\S wire and copies got better. Then finally I replaced the drum & blade even though they looked good and the copies were perfect. Thanks again for all the replies