Thread: MX-5070

MX-5070

we set up this machine new and delivered the other day. All worked fine. The IT people set up the network later. My problem is the display screen locks up when a command is issued. I unplugged the fax and Network connections. I rebooted and I can get into Sim mode, but as soon as you choose a Sim to run the display freezes. Same in Copy mode. You can touch any icon on the display and all is well until you command the machine to copy, scan.
    I tried to reload firmware also. No error codes present through the Interface listed. I took of the back covers and re-plugged connections to see if would help, No go.
    Any of you have any ideas as to the culprit ? No power outages etc.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: MX-5070

I have had a couple of things cause this. I have seen both the msata and mfp board cause this, twice each. There is a bulletin out about msata data corruption during a firmware update so it seems like this could cause your specific issue. The fix is to replace the msata ssd. It is easy to replace the hard drive so you might try that. I also had one that had to have the scanner control pwb replaced. I saw that several times on prior models such as the 5141 that usually ended up being the scanner control board or entire control panel unit.

ok, I replaced the HD and got an E7-03. I'M NOT SURE IF THERE IS S SYSTEM FILE ON THE HD TO COMPLETE BOOT ? ONE THING THE NEW HD DID WAS LET ME INTO SIM MODE TO UPDATE ALL FIRMWARE AND CLEAR ALL TROUBLE CODES AND NEVER FROZE THE SCREEN. UNFORTUNATELY THE MACHINE IS STILL DOWN.
    DO YOU KNOW IF THE DATA SECURITY KIT ON THE MACHINE TIES THE msata ssd TO THE MACHINE ? THIS MACHINE IS BRAND NEW BEEN IN THE FIELD 2-DAYS . WORKED FINE FOR THEN , THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS PROBLEM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Once a DSK is installed on a new machine, that machine will always have a DSK. It changes the firmware on all the boards in the machine, the hard drive, the msata ssd etc. The firmware for a DSK machine and a non DSK machine are different. Normally the machine wont let you flash the wrong firmware, but some will in boot mode or EM update mode. If you know for a fact the machine has a DSK you should flip the update dip switch located on the top corner of the mfp board with the engine power off. Turning on the machine will force it into EM update mode. you need to update ALL of the firmware, not just mfp firmware. One the EM update finishes, you need to turn off the mfp, flip the dip switch back and let it boot up. Using a later system firmware with older OCR firmware will cause the system to not boot and other issues. I can provide the correct firmware if you need it. Just let me know what you have.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

And when using EM update, all files will be re written to the hard disk. Usually I will blank out the hard drive by attaching to a PC and using dispart and the CLE command which makes it look like its a brand new drive. Then the EM update will bring it up like a dead machine.

Thanks much for your response and knowledge. After I got back to the shop I got into the service manual and discovered where I was actually at. The machine came with a disk and has the security kit installed. I did find on the copier a bad ATA cable connection. If we don't do a warranty claim and Sharp covers the suspected parts , I'm going to begin where you advised doing the update from the board dipswitch 1, and see where that takes me. I'm not sure today as I'm off of firmware version I have. Will check it out on Tuesday. IT gave it to me and said it's the latest.
    Thanks much !

Well, I tried a new HD out of the box and still an E7-03. I tried updating All Files from the Board with the dip switch in update mode and it writes like All is Well , but when you reboot the machine with the dip switch in regular mode I still get the E7 error code. I also cleared all possible trouble codes and still a HD error.
    I set the machine to do Auto Update when a new HD is installed but don't see any change. I took a HD from a new machine in the shop and it works fine. The main Rom Bundle version is 05.00.zc.00
    seems like the HD I'm trying is possibly not formatting ?? I set the machine in sim mode to auto format because it was set to off, no change. I also tried to format the HD from the machine in SIM mode NO GO.

Good Morning Folks, Sorry I haven't got back to complete this thread sooner. What I have come across in the field is we have had 2 bad SCN-MFP boards bad out of the box, or shortly after placement. After installing a new Hard Drive and MsataSSD and cloning them the machine still froze up at the display screen and also in SIM mode. I installed a new board, (don't forget to swap the eproms specifically to their place on the board) put in a new HD and MsataSSD card and imported the CLONED Data for each "ALL WORKED FINE" BE CAREFUL UNPLUGGING THE HD !!!
    I'd suggest following the Service Manual in the exact sequence when installing a new or used HD and MsataSSD card. I have Exported the data from the HD and MsataSSD card from a working machine and have revived 2 machines having these same above mentioned issues. IF the Cloning Import works and there are still like issues, then replacing the SCN-MFP should resolve the problem.
    Cheers