Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

DIYer looking for help

Is there an online forum more appropriate for non-professionals to get troubleshooting help? I have an MX-3501N in my home which was given to me by the local library. It has been working fine for a year but now it isn't. I cannot afford professional service calls, but I am mechanically/electrically inclined and am hoping to find the problem myself with a little guidance. Thank you.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    DIYer looking for help

Re: DIYer looking for help

[QUOTE=Jorabi;553151]...but now it isn't.
    If you give us symptoms, we might just be able to help. Up to a point, with your understanding that you might make matters worst.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Technician

Zootech thank you for your offer to help.

Since moving the machine, I can no longer print from a PC without it jamming immediately. If I make copies, it does not jam. The jam happens without ever delivering the first print. There are always three sheets to be cleared from the pull-out section on the right.

I am attaching pertinent photos. One of the photos shows a part that appeared in the area at some point after the move. I don't know if it's related.

EDIT: forgot to mention the jam occurs regardless of which paper tray I use.

jam display.jpgpart.jpgreport.jpgsim 22-05 pg 1.jpgsim 22-05 pg 2.jpg

DIYer looking for help

Quote Originally Posted by Jorabi View Post
    Zootech thank you for your offer to help.

Since moving the machine, I can no longer print from a PC without it jamming immediately. If I make copies, it does not jam. The jam happens without ever delivering the first print. There are always three sheets to be cleared from the pull-out section on the right.

I am attaching pertinent photos. One of the photos shows a part that appeared in the area at some point after the move. I don't know if it's related.

EDIT: forgot to mention the jam occurs regardless of which paper tray I use.

jam display.jpgpart.jpgreport.jpgsim 22-05 pg 1.jpgsim 22-05 pg 2.jpg
    That part is a separation pawl from the fuser unit (located on upper right side). Your firmware is out of date - the ICU main should be at 2a11.J0.
    If it is not jamming when copying, than you print driver configuration, and or settings may be off.

Technician

Is that pawl critical or can I run without it?

Is there a way for unauthorized persons to obtain updated firmware?

DIYer looking for help

Is that pawl critical or can I run without it?

Is there a way for unauthorized persons to obtain updated firmware?
    It is apparently running in copy mode without that part. You could try a goggle search for the firmware.
    It printed fine for a year, is that correct? Have you gotten a new PC and reloaded the print driver?
    If so, than you may need to set the tray settings in the configuration tab of your Printer Properties.
    If the IP port shows it is a WSD port, that can cause problems; also, the port configuration should be LPR with a queue name of lp (lower case).

Technician

Yes, it worked for a year. I have new information. It jams while COPYING as well as printing, but only when the output is 2-sided. So it is not a PC or driver config issue. Copying and printing both work fine if single sided.

The jam happens immediately and one blank sheet has to be cleared from the top right side of machine, inside the pull-out section.

DIYer looking for help

Yes, it worked for a year. I have new information. It jams while COPYING as well as printing, but only when the output is 2-sided. So it is not a PC or driver config issue. Copying and printing both work fine if single sided.

The jam happens immediately and one blank sheet has to be cleared from the top right side of machine, inside the pull-out section.
    Check the right-side pull out drawer; maybe a myler sheet, or rib with paper cuts. The duplex motor might be a problem; run simulations to test motors. You may also disable jam with Sim 7, and see if it still jams. If it does not, you have a sensor problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi. I am pretty sure I know your problem. These machines have a really bad know issue with the duplex guide and gate on the upper right door warping. Sharp made a modified guide and added little clear fingers to it to help as well. That's basically how you can tell. This is a common issue. The easiest way to check is to look at the flat edge on the bottom of the black guide. It it should be straight and even. If it's not replace it. I can give you the part numbers. The second common issue on these is they like to strip out primary transfer belt drive gears. Usually because the belt cleaning blade becomes dry. The picture you posted is of a fuser lower picker finger. You really need these. Without them paper will catch the top gate on the fuser and jam. When these get knocked off its common to tear up the fuser requiring a replacement fuser or a rebuild. The rebuild kits are expensive and a new fuser is about 500 bucks. I happen to have one I can sell if you need it. Let me know. Btw I've worked on these since they were new and went to sharp school on them. I've spent a lot of time on them so I can pretty much fix anything on them.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have added the bulletin showing the issue below. It also lists the new parts needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files