Technician

Touch panel on MX-M623n

Howdy.

Recently, I took a 'new to them' 623 that had been wiped and prepped and all kinds of other things we do to machines we re-sell.

Anyway, once we got it hooked up, networked, and made sure everything worked as advertised, I went in to the webpage to help set up access control for user auditing. After we entered all the users and made sure they were in the correct permissions group, (admin, users, guest) I went to the machine to test and verify.

When I attempt to log in, the touch screen allows for maybe one or two options to be pressed and then locks up completely. The pull-out keyboard is able to navigate the menu but then it just does what looks like a soft reset and goes back to the log-in page. If I use the keyboard for the full sequence, it works fine but when we have 30+ users authenticated to a machine, it becomes somewhat of a hassle for our users to key through everyone.

Has anyone had anything similar? There is no security kit on the machine. The firmware is up to date. All permissions for each user are correct (for client). Testing other settings for user account types yielded no change. I'm completely at a loss

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Re: Touch panel on MX-M623n

If I'm getting weird issues I will reinstall Firmware even if it shows current. I would also try cloning machine from a unit that is not having these issues.

Technician

Hadn't thought of cloning.

I shall do that, thanks!

Now I have to wait until they open again next week.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have seen this mostly from bad hard drives.....or maybe memory. Also NEVER do a full clone from a different family of machine to another family. You can usually clone the address book and network settings and get away with that pretty much, phoenix and griffen being the exception to that rule. The best way to resolve is to do an EM update and see if that fixes it, next replace hard drive and repeat.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post
    Also NEVER do a full clone from a different family of machine to another family.
    Totally wasn't going to do this but I appreciate the heads up. Thankfully, the job site has another machine that is same make / model so I'll just clone that one and see what happens.

Also, I don't remember if this model has integrated memory or if there are sticks. If sticks, I could maybe try to just reseat them and see if maybe something just got jostled loose during the move. That would be super awesome.

Technician

Update: No update.

I'm having a magical week where every machine I touch dies on the spot.

Gotta love it.