Technician

MX6240 Staple marks on Primary Transfer

Over the past year my dealership has been dealing with a machine that gets what looks like staple marks on the Primary Transfer although I know it is not from a staple. I have tracked it down to either the cleaning station or the roller on which the cleaning station rides because it appears right after leaving the cleaning station on the underside of the belt. I have replaced the belt twice and also rebuilt it twice cleaning all rollers and replacing foam rollers. Replacing the Primary seems to work longer than than rebuilding it. Also noticed that the inside of belt had weird spots that looked like either condensation or shorting of some kind. Have thoroughly checked replaced Primary to find actual cause but could see nothing on rollers or cleaning station that would cause this. Has anyone seen this and found something as each Transfer belt is like a grand and would like to find the cause.

Re: MX6240 Staple marks on Primary Transfer

Sorry I don't have a solution but we did have this on an MX7040 last year. I refurbished the belt unit and haven't had a repeat since. I looked over the belt unit thoroughly but couldn't find the source of the mark.

This is usually caused by a faulty cleaning blade, if you look along the edge you will see it is slightly worn.

If you replace the blade and it still happens, you will need to clean all the rollers inside the primary transfer unit.

Technician

I installed two 6240s and both of them had this issue withing 1k pages. My service rep from sharp said that the trans belt shoild be powered with yellow anytime the machine gets moved or left turned off for a long amount of time. To fix it i refurbed the trans unit and put a new blade on. Also he mentioned that tempurture changes may have had somthing to do with it. Since im in montana and it was really cold the day on the installs.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

In our store's print center, we have an MX6500N, which uses the same Primary transfer belt. We have replaced the belt 3-4 times in the last year because of the staple like marks. What I have seen, its some type of debris UNDER the belt that causes indentations, which in turn causes marks on the paper that look like staples. What I found fixed the problem was replacing the belt AND the four transfer rollers in the unit. You have to order them separately, as they are not part of a kit. We haven't seen the problem since, and this over 3 months ago while averaging at least 20k pages a month. It would be part #: NROLR1946FCZZ. Hope this helps!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I do pm's on these models sometimes weekly (6240-7500) and I have this problem constantly, as stated, it some foreign object that gets between the roller and belt, on cleaning blade side, causing a bubble(inside) that causes poor cleaning and the 2 staple marks, re cleaning the unit works but it keeps happening! Does replacing the charge rollers solve this issue? I would love to know, cuz its getting old, also seeing a lot of the mx-620b2 rip lately too!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

As stated, I have seen that the constant marking have gone away with replacing the rollers. The part number is in my previous post. Cleaning may not get all of the old toner/developer residue off. It only take a small chunk to put a divot in the belt that will cause issues. If new rollers do not help, I would recommend a new unit.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith46 View Post
    As stated, I have seen that the constant marking have gone away with replacing the rollers. The part number is in my previous post. Cleaning may not get all of the old toner/developer residue off. It only take a small chunk to put a divot in the belt that will cause issues. If new rollers do not help, I would recommend a new unit.
    We have also seen this quite often When rebuilding we also have installed the first follower roller. Part # CROLR1985FC03.
    Not sure if this is fix but haven't seen marks after rebuilding and putting this part in.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Same problem here.

I usually just clean all the rollers and put everything back together...and return one of 2 months later to do the same.

Sharp has no explanation and is "not aware of the problem"...mmhm...