Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MX-4141 ghosting

I am having a ghosting problem and it seems to be with the variations of blue color. I ran the cleaning wands on the cyan drum and laser and that didn't seem to help. I am mostly a Canon guy and this is my only Sharp color so I am unfamiliar with the everyday type problems and don't want to randomly do things without knowing what to do first. They are printing their letterhead on 20lb paper and the logo is repeating a faint image about the diameter of the drum. The color drums only has 59K and I think they are good for well over 100k. The logo is the only part repeating, nothing else. I had this problem with the black drum, but that had a very large area repeating in the middle. Is it possibly the cyan drum?

Re: MX-4141 ghosting

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I am having a ghosting problem and it seems to be with the variations of blue color. I ran the cleaning wands on the cyan drum and laser and that didn't seem to help. I am mostly a Canon guy and this is my only Sharp color so I am unfamiliar with the everyday type problems and don't want to randomly do things without knowing what to do first. They are printing their letterhead on 20lb paper and the logo is repeating a faint image about the diameter of the drum. The color drums only has 59K and I think they are good for well over 100k. The logo is the only part repeating, nothing else. I had this problem with the black drum, but that had a very large area repeating in the middle. Is it possibly the cyan drum?
    If you have a doubt in Cyan Drum try to exchange the drum unit to other color. 59K copies only but it is possible also that the age of the drum.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonjon View Post
    If you have a doubt in Cyan Drum try to exchange the drum unit to other color. 59K copies only but it is possible also that the age of the drum.
    Thanks, I totally forgot they are all the same, Canon are all different. I feel so stupid.

If you do a SIM 64-1, pattern 17, and select C. What does the output look like? If it looks good, try immediately after that printing the same pattern but with the dots set from 255 to 1, to print a blank page. Also, try printing SIM 64-5 pattern 1, multiple times.

If you get ghosting it could be either fault cleaning blade, or fuser belt.

The blade comes with the charge kit and is cheap and easy to fit; but if you don't have one you can try just cleaning the blade's edge, and resetting with some yellow toner.

If the fuser belt is ghosting you can usually tell how worn it is by its colour. The belt should be a glossy darkish brown colour, if it looks matted and orange it is worn. If it is showing signs of toner build up on the edges, it should be replaced ASAP.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Went back yesterday and the problem wasn't nearly as bad. Swapped the black drum with cyan and the problem went away. Ended up cleaning drum blade and that seemed to have cleared it. I think it may have been environmental more than anything for some reason as it seems it was going away on it's own. Perhaps moisture, it's been wet here.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

We have several of these under contract and cleaning the blade is usually only a temporary fix. You need to go ahead and change the Drum and the charge kit which has the drum blade included.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    We have several of these under contract and cleaning the blade is usually only a temporary fix. You need to go ahead and change the Drum and the charge kit which has the drum blade included.
    The drum only has 59K on it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

With most of our units an hour or more a way it is cheaper for us to go ahead and replace the parts than have a call back in two or three weeks when the problem comes back

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Doesnt matter what the drum count has one it. The powder wears off the blade over time causing it to then wear and then cause streaking. Can happen on any color. I saw it most on black. I replace the drum and mk kit as a set to resolve. works every time.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-4141 ghosting

Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post
    Doesnt matter what the drum count has one it. The powder wears off the blade over time causing it to then wear and then cause streaking. Can happen on any color. I saw it most on black. I replace the drum and mk kit as a set to resolve. works every time.
    Agree, and the way the copier is used (one or two at a time, or multiple sets) can have a drastic affect on copy/print quality and life of supplies.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --