Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MX-4111N won't Saddle Stitch

My customer's MX-4111N will NOT print or copy pamphlets. It will let you choose "Pamphlet" but outputs to the top tray without folding or stapling. Very Curious! Normally when you choose "Pamphlet" the image of copier in the display will highlight the lower output tray green, indicating it has entered pamphlet/saddle stitch mode. This machine highlights the upper/normal output tray - and that's where the copies/prints go, unfolded/unstapled. Reflashed the copier, the finisher, and swapped out the Controller Board in the finisher ('cause I have extra MX-FN10's) to no avail. Ready to get out the hammer. Help!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MX-4111N won't Saddle Stitch

Quote Originally Posted by yurisan View Post
    My customer's MX-4111N will NOT print or copy pamphlets. It will let you choose "Pamphlet" but outputs to the top tray without folding or stapling. Very Curious! Normally when you choose "Pamphlet" the image of copier in the display will highlight the lower output tray green, indicating it has entered pamphlet/saddle stitch mode. This machine highlights the upper/normal output tray - and that's where the copies/prints go, unfolded/unstapled. Reflashed the copier, the finisher, and swapped out the Controller Board in the finisher ('cause I have extra MX-FN10's) to no avail. Ready to get out the hammer. Help!

you might want to use a 9mm hollow point copper jacketed bullet.. smaller hole just as much damage to the copy engine... may I suggest execution style? two to the back of the machine

Technician

Are you copying or printing? I found a similar problem on our 5111, we were copying and it gave same result as you, the problem was the way we ran the paper, we had to put the paper in the drawer in the (r) position. that would be 8 1\2 inches front to rear and 11 inches right to left. and had to load originals in doc feeder the same way then it folded and stapled for us. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by VBS Tech View Post
    Are you copying or printing? I found a similar problem on our 5111, we were copying and it gave same result as you, the problem was the way we ran the paper, we had to put the paper in the drawer in the (r) position. that would be 8 1\2 inches front to rear and 11 inches right to left. and had to load originals in doc feeder the same way then it folded and stapled for us. I hope this helps.
    This guy also has a MX-M620N w/ saddle stitch finisher and produces pamphlets on it, so he knows what he is doing. He has 8.5x11R and 11x17 paper loaded. Before the MX-4111N he had a Konica 8031 with saddle stitch and a Fiery - which produced way better color output than this Sharp, BTW.

For printing:

The copier has two pamphlet modes, one with fold and staple, and one without.

To make a stapled pamphlet, you need to select 2 centre staples, as well as pamphlet mode.

For copying:

Most likely the "Automatic Saddle Stitch" function has been disabled, if so, you can turn it back on in System Settings > Device Control. Without it, the user has to select pamphlet copy, then select saddle stitch (under Others).

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    For printing:

The copier has two pamphlet modes, one with fold and staple, and one without.

To make a stapled pamphlet, you need to select 2 centre staples, as well as pamphlet mode.

For copying:

Most likely the "Automatic Saddle Stitch" function has been disabled, if so, you can turn it back on in System Settings > Device Control. Without it, the user has to select pamphlet copy, then select saddle stitch (under Others).
    I also thought the perhaps the saddle stitch function could be disabled in Device Control. I checked the settings, didn't see a specific way to disable that feature, didn't see anything at all disabled, and just in case, I returned the copier to its factory settings. Didn't help. I have a MX-4110N in the warehouse, so I mounted a MX-FN10 saddle stitch finisher to it, loaded some 8.5x11R, put 5 originals in SPF, chose "pamphlet mode" (copier assumes stapling, so you don't have to select that feature), one-sided originals, selected the 8.5x11R tray and pressed the start key. Voila - easy peaszy, an 8 page, 5.5x8.5 folded & stapled pamphlet. Too bad my customer's machine won't do that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Also check sim 22-10 to see what type of finisher the 4111n has connected, the other item in the user guide mentions that 2-sided mode has to be working(see below). also check the saddle stich stapler in sim mode, either the copier doesn't know it has a saddle stich finisher or the stapler or duplex has issues.

To staple copies automatically when Pamphlet Copy is enabled:
    From the "Setting mode", select [System Settings] → [Copy Settings] → [Copy Setting] → [Automatic Saddle Stitch].
    This is used to activate Saddle Stitch automatically when Pamphlet Copy is enabled when a saddle finisher is installed. To make pamphlet copies without stapling when the [Automatic Saddle Stitch] option is ON, tap the [Staple Sort] key. Then, select [Pamphlet Copy] and tap the [OFF] key on the saddle stitch screen

When Pamphlet Copy is selected, 2-sided copying mode is automatically selected. When settings are selected that prevent 2-sided copying, the pamphlet copy function cannot be used.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I would also suggest going into the print driver and making sure the copier is configured correctly if it is a print job. Check Sharp website, and make sure the FINISHER firmware and machine firmware is current. I emphasize finisher due to the fact that sometimes they release finisher firmware and don't put it on the machine firmware until the next machine firmware release.

Quote Originally Posted by moose55 View Post
    I would also suggest going into the print driver and making sure the copier is configured correctly if it is a print job. Check Sharp website, and make sure the FINISHER firmware and machine firmware is current. I emphasize finisher due to the fact that sometimes they release finisher firmware and don't put it on the machine firmware until the next machine firmware release.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I did re-flash the copier firmware and updated the MX-FN10 finisher firmware (found version specific to my model, and yes, you are correct that there might be an update of interest between machine firmware releases) with no result/improvement. This problem is baffling - especially because I have a MX-4110N (in-house) that makes saddle stitch pamphlets no problem. I am now thinking that the instruction set that the copier provides to the finisher when copying or printing, seems to not be a part of the firmware that can be updated. It may be hard-coded, and in this case, corrupted.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I know it would be a pain, but if you've got a working FN-10 at the shop, then I'd bring it out and hook it up and see what happens.

At least you could isolate the problem to either the finisher or the main box.

If the problem points to the main unit, maybe it's a corrupted SD card???