Technician

Question Sharp 4501n OCE CM4010

Machine make grinding noise when switched on. Also black toner buildup on transfer belt. Have pulled transfer belt. All developers and toners looking for bad gears. Everything looks ok. Sounds like noise is coming from drum section. Any ideas? Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp 4501n OCE CM4010

Re: Sharp 4501n OCE CM4010

Quote Originally Posted by Rich123 View Post
    Machine make grinding noise when switched on. Also black toner buildup on transfer belt. Have pulled transfer belt. All developers and toners looking for bad gears. Everything looks ok. Sounds like noise is coming from drum section. Any ideas? Thanks.
    what are the life stats for all the consumables? Any past their life? have you checked the cleaning unit for the belt... tubes and augers? have you pulled and thoroughly cleaned all items and corresponding gearing? Kinda vague in what have been done except for visual inspection.

Run different motors in sim 6-6 to find which motor will cause the noise, then troubleshoot from there.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Sharp 4501n OCE CM4010

Just had a call earlier in the week for a Sharp MX-M453 making a "grinding noise". It was the waste toner auger in the drum unit. Wound up replacing the frame assembly.

Technician

Thanks for all the post. I checked all augurs in each drum unit & transfer belt. Also cleaned. All is ok. Have ruled out transfer belt completely. Still had noise after removing transfer belt. Tried sim 6, but this sim does not give option to check developers. Noise does seem to be coming from developer section. Could there be another sim number to check developers separately? Thanks.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Sharp 4501n OCE CM4010

Quote Originally Posted by Rich123 View Post
    Thanks for all the post. I checked all augurs in each drum unit & transfer belt. Also cleaned. All is ok. Have ruled out transfer belt completely. Still had noise after removing transfer belt. Tried sim 6, but this sim does not give option to check developers. Noise does seem to be coming from developer section. Could there be another sim number to check developers separately? Thanks.
    Sim 25-1 will run developers, and give density reading. I can't remember if this model requires toner cartridges be removed to run Sim.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Technician

Based on the model number this unit is at least 9 years old and probably has a lot of usage on it. Based on this I would take a look at the main drive pack on the rear frame.

T.G.G

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

The DV unit has coged belts that the teeth fall off. If you rotate them by hand you cant feel them but under motor load they pop.

Technician

Question Re: Sharp 4501n OCE CM4010

Thanks for the reply. I check the small belt on the developer unit. The belt looked ok, but when inspecting the developer drive gear I found the teeth badly worn. I'm sure this is the noise. I did find a service manual online, but could not find a parts manual. Do you know if gear and belt can be ordered? Where could I find a parts manual? Thanks.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

With the age of the machine you might want to think of replacing the whole DV unit. It sound like there is a bind in it.