Technician

MX5001-n Tearing upper heat roller.

Hi, I have a MX5001N. 7 days ago we were printing and suddenly when printing a color image a page got stuck on the fuser, I pulled the sheet and a piece of the upper heat roller came out with the sheet of paper. Today I bought a replacement and replaced the piece on the fuser. Everything was working good but then I print a color image and again the page got stuck and when I pulled the sheet the roller was teared again in the same spot.

I followed the service manual and the replacement roller was original and brand new.

What could be causing this problem?

DSC_0094.jpgDSC_0095.jpgDSC_0096.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MX5001-n Tearing upper heat roller.

Did you make sure that you replace the sep claws also. I would try the fuser in a different machine if possible. Replace the web also?
    The Moose is loose!!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan3205 View Post
    Hi, I have a MX5001N. 7 days ago we were printing and suddenly when printing a color image a page got stuck on the fuser, I pulled the sheet and a piece of the upper heat roller came out with the sheet of paper. Today I bought a replacement and replaced the piece on the fuser. Everything was working good but then I print a color image and again the page got stuck and when I pulled the sheet the roller was teared again in the same spot.

I followed the service manual and the replacement roller was original and brand new.

What could be causing this problem?

DSC_0094.jpgDSC_0095.jpgDSC_0096.jpg
    just the upper roller? not the bearings? fuser pawls? did you inspect the fuser frame?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by moose55 View Post
    Did you make sure that you replace the sep claws also. I would try the fuser in a different machine if possible. Replace the web also?
    If you are talking about the upper separation pawl I didn’t replace them because the service manual says that you should replace them after 300k pages and this fuser unit only have like 50k pages (I replaced the whole fuser unit for a brand new in January), same goes for the web cleaning unit.
    What I did notice and should mention (although I don’t know if it’s relevant) is that the external belt looks too shiny and grainy and doesn’t fell smooth like I think it should feel, and when I roll the upper heat roller which is pressed against it the belt doesn’t roll.

DSC_0097.jpgDSC_0100.jpgDSC_0103.jpgDSC_0104.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    just the upper roller? not the bearings? fuser pawls? did you inspect the fuser frame?
    The pawls and other components seemed to be fine, as I mentioned the fuser only have 50k pages more or less but I am not a technician, this printer is from my mother’s small business but in this state there are no SHARP technicians so I have to do the reparation by myself using the service guide and, of course, this forum’s help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: MX5001-n Tearing upper heat roller.

I think you should replace the fuser (MX-500FU1) but if you do not want to, I recommend do the Heat Roller Kit (MX-500HK).

I think that it's most likely that the fuser separation pawls are damaged. By your own image, you clearly see that the media cleanly entered and wrapped around the heat roller, which means those pawls aren't doing their job.

If you decide to replace just the heat roller, be sure to replace the pawls and springs together.

Again, get a new fuser. There not that expensive. List price: $333.00 (Cheaper online PR is $279)

The Heat roller you replaced is $100, Kit is $250. For a little more you get peace of mind.

Good luck.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

The pawls might be damaged, most likely from a jam removed incorrectly.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

As a reminder, make sure your paper trays are set for the medium you're using; also, set the paper weight to default at the higher weight of 28lbs (it just seems to work better).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Technician

Replacing the whole fuser was the last thing I wanted to do, but I guess I have no other choice. But I am amazed by the fact that this fuser only lasted 50k pages.

Just one last thing I would like to know. When printing black and white pages the sheets never jam on the fuser, but as soon as I print a color page gets jammed on the roller, why?

Does the fuser gets more heat to print in color? Does the page weights more because of the extra toner attached to it? And finally, the black belt which is pressed against the upper heat roller (the one inside the fuser unit) is it supposed to roll along with the roller?

Thanks in advance