Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Weird Bypass Tray print issue - MX-3070N

Hi all,

Our client is having a weird issue when doing their weekly check run.

They send a print job to the MX-3070N copier for around 40-50 checks. When they get to the copier, they place a stack of around 40 checks onto the Bypass Tray. The copier pulls and prints. However, the copier rotates the image 180 degrees, so the image is upside down. The weird thing is, if you put just one or a few checks on the Bypass Tray, it prints them perfectly fine.

We've tested throughout the print job. It'll print checks fine, as long as there are only a few checks on the tray. At anytime that you load a good number of checks, it'll rotate the image 180 degrees. Take off the big stack and put just a few back on, and it immediately prints normal again.

We've updated firmware to latest. We are going to just swap out the complete right side door to see if that fixes it. If so, we'll rip their door apart at the shop.

Any suggestions on what it would be? Extra weight causing some wire to be pinched or extra strain on a wire harness? Could there be some electro-magnetic property of the checks that cumulatively freaks out the copier?

Thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Weird Bypass Tray print issue - MX-3070N

check page 3-35 of the users manual...maybe it will help...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, but the print driver is set up properly with "Portrait" orientation. And I really don't think it has anything to do with the print job itself.

For example, if they need to print 40 checks, the accounting program sends over just one print job (of 40 pages) and not 40 individual jobs (there is only one print job in the Job Queue on the copier).The only thing dictating the orientation of the print is the amount of checks placed on the Bypass Tray.

For example, if they send over the 40 page job and they put 5 checks on the Bypass Tray, it will print those 5 checks properly and then say add paper. They now put a stack of 25 checks on the Bypass Tray and immediately the first check printed has it's image rotated 180 degrees. They pull off the remaining checks from the Bypass Tray and the copier asks to Add Paper. They now put 3 checks on the tray and they are printed perfectly fine. After those three, if you add a large stack on the Bypass Tray, it will immediately rotate the image. And so on.

So I don't think the problem is with any setting in the print driver, as they could run that whole 40 page job perfectly by adding only 5 checks at a time to the Bypass Tray.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Try sending the job to "Job Retention" then "Check Image" see if the image is rotated ~or~ try to print the check run to PDF and see if the image is rotated. Need to isolate where the rotation is happening..... application or printer

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We swapped out the entire right side door and the problem went away.

We have the right door in the shop and haven't had a chance to test it to narrow down the exact issue.

I'll update if we can narrow down the exact cause.

Technician

We are having the same issue
    please let me know is you have a fix

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

New Firmware inside ?
    Version 06.50.Z1.00

Technician

looks to be a issue with the position of the tray guides when the paper is loaded in the tray

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Unfortunately, we never figured out exactly what the issue was. As I said, we swapped the entire right side door and the problem went away for the client.

When we put that door onto a copier in the shop, we could no longer reproduce the issue (I could cause the issue at the client using my laptop, but couldn't get same result in the shop).

We think it may have been an issue with the data cable between the door and the main unit. I'd start by re-seating that. Either that, or by getting jostled around on the swap, whatever was out of whack got put back in its proper place.

Wish I could be of more help.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Possible paper size sensor issue? That is super strange.... Maybe moving it helped a sticky sensor (grasping at straws), lol

I've had this exact issue with an HP printer this year and it was the print driver that was the issue.