Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MX-4070N Poor scans and copies

We have an MX-4070N that has deteriorated in the six months it has been out. The copies are noticeably lighter, and the scans are, too. There are about 90K b&w and 25K color copies on the machine. To make sure there was nothing simple affecting the copies we changed the K drum and developer, but got no help there. The optics and laser have been cleaned, and the machine has been calibrated. Our customer actually had images they had copied and scanned when the machine was new, and was able to show us how much change there was. We brought some of their stuff to the shop and ran it on an MX-3070N in our showroom, and it looked great. It even picks up the gray grid lines that our machine in the field does not. There don't appear to be any setting changes made in the machine. The edges on solids on our new machine are very sharp.....the machine in the field seems to have gone a bit fuzzy on those same edges.
    I may be overlooking something simple, and if anyone knows what it is I would welcome a swift kick.

Thanks,
    Al
    CPC Office Technologies
    Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: MX-4070N Poor scans and copies

You have already done the obvious with the developer and cleaning. I have had some issues with a film developing on the laser glass and regular wiping does not remove and have had to use alcohol and a hard scrubbing to remove it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX-4070N Poor scans and copies

Try changing the default original type. Text has always been the darkest in my experience.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi

Have run Sims 61-13 & 61-11? Might help. I would also run all adjustments in SM that pertain to density. Also, you are in Florida, Humidity plays a big part in copy quality, Bring fresh paper from your office and try that. Paper makes a big difference also.
    OOPs, just noticed you said Scans and Copies. How are prints? If theyre dense then it's in your Optics. Are they light on backside of page also? If not, then you have CCD trouble in scanner. If both front and back I would suspect Scan control board, which on these machines are integrated with MFP PWB.

P

cjohnson2013

I have a MX-3110N and when I print anything it shits the image about an inch. Do you know what could be causing this?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

We never did figure out what setting had been changed, but restoring everything to factory defaults seemed to take care of our issue.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    We never did figure out what setting had been changed, but restoring everything to factory defaults seemed to take care of our issue.
    Print out the 22-6 before you do a firmware update. Then update the firmware and print 22-6 again. On pages 1 and 2, the machine soft switches are shown. Firmware will change the soft switches in most updates and by comparing the 2 printouts, you can determine what has changed.
    I remember issues we had with Aries 2 machines (2640,3640) after the firmware update. The copies and scans looked like hell and reverting to the original soft switch configuration fixed the issue.

As suggested in another post, change the default exposure from Auto. I have seen it cause blue and red streaks on this model, and will slow the doc feeder down considerably. I am a text / photo guy myself.

There is also a retrofitted CCD unit, but it is usually accompanied by E7-14 errors.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Phoenix_Combi_0512Z1B0_C. again "poor scan quality"

But the newest version is 06.50.z1