Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

MX-3115 Random C4-00 codes

There are a couple of bulletins on this, one for continuous C4-00 in which it is the TC and that has been replaced. Another for a clutch and housing which also has been replaced but yet the machine continues to have this code intermittently. anyone have any issues like this?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-3115 Random C4-00 codes

Re: MX-3115 Random C4-00 codes

How long ago was the PTC replaced? You may want to replace it again or perhaps it is getting dirty from toner dusting, Has the ITB been changed?
    When I started servicing copiers they used toaster ovens for fusers.....I'm old

Technician

I have an MX-3610N with a similar problem, the machine starts normally but when i make a copy or print the paper stops at the primary trasferbelt and display C4-00.
    I have replaced MC PWB, TC PWB, PTC, PCU PWB, main drive unit, complete transferbelt unit, black drum unit and also a cover according to CCE-973. But still no go.
    If you find a solution on your machine please let me know..

Did you ever try to reset the PTC counter, you can reset the counter by using 24-4 and select PTC.... if ever the problems occur again.. try also to troubleshoot the power supply... then try to report some of the changes you encounter here.... Thanks...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Tech Support View Post
    Did you ever try to reset the PTC counter, you can reset the counter by using 24-4 and select PTC.... if ever the problems occur again.. try also to troubleshoot the power supply... then try to report some of the changes you encounter here.... Thanks...
    Yes I have reset the PTC counter. I also replaced DC PWB and AC PWB but still no go.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

for a C4-00 error you' almost certainly need to replace the High Voltage TC-PWB. There are tech bulletins from Sharp in regards to this. I see you've tried this. Did you use the new board (new part number)? or did you pull a board from a scrap machine?

Once in awhile it can be the clutches that drive the main transfer belt but, that is rare. To be certain you can check to see if the primary transfer belt is rotating in the sims menu. run a long test and see if it errors out.

Are you seeing the copier pull a piece of paper that stops just below the primary transfer belt before the error pops up?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon55 View Post
    for a C4-00 error you' almost certainly need to replace the High Voltage TC-PWB. There are tech bulletins from Sharp in regards to this. I see you've tried this. Did you use the new board (new part number)? or did you pull a board from a scrap machine?

Once in awhile it can be the clutches that drive the main transfer belt but, that is rare. To be certain you can check to see if the primary transfer belt is rotating in the sims menu. run a long test and see if it errors out.

Are you seeing the copier pull a piece of paper that stops just below the primary transfer belt before the error pops up?
    The first thing we did was to replace the TC and the clutches per the bulletins. It does it for us so random, it's hard to know if we are making any headway. I'm beginning to wonder about the high voltage leads and receptacles.

The one time it did it for me, I noticed the paper stopping 2/3 the was out of transfer. About the last two inches of the image on the page had very light and blurry (not jittery) transfer just as if the transfer bias has issues. We are going to replace the TC board again since this was one from Hytec and the primary transfer unit, secondary unit and the PTC unit as a set. We'll see....

Quote Originally Posted by ctuinstra View Post
    There are a couple of bulletins on this, one for continuous C4-00 in which it is the TC and that has been replaced. Another for a clutch and housing which also has been replaced but yet the machine continues to have this code intermittently. anyone have any issues like this?
    Does the printer indicate jam before flashing the error??? if it is indicating jam try to check the Jam code first, maybe it is due to drum locked which triggers the PTC to malfunction,
    before you replaced those PWB's, if you have the same printer machine as the one you are fixing, try to swap the consumable units, Drum unit, Developer unit, and so on...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Tech Support View Post
    Does the printer indicate jam before flashing the error??? if it is indicating jam try to check the Jam code first, maybe it is due to drum locked which triggers the PTC to malfunction,
    before you replaced those PWB's, if you have the same printer machine as the one you are fixing, try to swap the consumable units, Drum unit, Developer unit, and so on...
    I believe the code showed before the jam. Because the machine was connected at a university using PaperCut, we cannot just run copies because of lack of access. So all testing while in the shop has to be done running test simulation such as 64-6. At this point, all it displayed was the C4-00 code while in the simulation. We do not have another machine at our disposal, this was not a very popular model we sold, so that makes it difficult to swap out the consumables.

Quote Originally Posted by ctuinstra View Post
    I believe the code showed before the jam. Because the machine was connected at a university using PaperCut, we cannot just run copies because of lack of access. So all testing while in the shop has to be done running test simulation such as 64-6. At this point, all it displayed was the C4-00 code while in the simulation. We do not have another machine at our disposal, this was not a very popular model we sold, so that makes it difficult to swap out the consumables.
    PaperCut can easily be disabled for testing. Settings > Application Settings > External Application Settings > Disable (take note of which server(s) were enabled before hand). When you reboot, you will return to the standard screen, when done return the External Application Settings to Enable, and enable which ever server setting(s) where previously enabled.

For C4-00 it can be all the parts listed above, as well as making sure the firmware is up to date.

You can usually figure out which part is causing the problem by looking at the image on the ITB (or paper, if it got that far).

If the image is not formed, almost appearing as a black smear, then the clutches are the usual cause.
    If the image is formed, PTC.
    If no image, or partial image, TC board.

For me I go through the following order for C4-00, in order of precedence:

Update firmware, if needed.
    Replace PTC.
    Replace TC board.
    Replace ITB cluches.

Relevant bulletins: MX2640-MX3140-MX3640256.pdf, MX2640-MX3140-MX3640677.pdf