Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

[SOLVED] MX-5111n, L4-11 with binding paper exit mechanism, osm motor PCU PWB OK

Hello and good morning. I'm working on Sharps for the first time and really struggling. I'm getting an L4-11 code with a tested good PCU PWB and tested good OSM motor. The motor runs when I run a 6-1, the SHPOS sensor is reporting as expected. The winding resistance is equal in all 4 phases, and the mechanism rotates freely when out of the machine. No broken teeth on the gears, etc.

However, as soon as I insert the bloody thing (paper exit assembly) in fully, the shifter motor mechanism binds up completely, and appears to be getting hung on a part of the case toward the output side.

I've worked on this problem for a few days, and tried to post on here last week, but apparently something went wrong because I don't see my post.

I'm utterly flummoxed. I can still scan and fax if I power up the machine with the right side open, but that's hardly satisfactory.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
    Last edited by jeffrodh; 08-28-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Problem solved with help, changing title to reflect

Re: MX-5111n, L4-11 with binding paper exit mechanism, osm motor and Pcu pwb are fin

Remove the exit unit from the machine and remove the drive motor.

Try moving the shifter and see if you have a mechanical binding when moving it.

Technician

Re: MX-5111n, L4-11 with binding paper exit mechanism, osm motor and Pcu pwb are fin

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Remove the exit unit from the machine and remove the drive motor.

Try moving the shifter and see if you have a mechanical binding when moving it.
    I have done so. It moves freely outside of the machine. It moves without binding with the motor installed as well, but I can feel the resistance of the permanent magnet motor.

There looks to be a small teflon piece near the rear that the slide is fitting into, but it prevents all movement. I'll try to upload some images. It continues to move freely until I fully seat the paper exit mechanism (the last 3-4 mm is where it begins to bind).

Technician

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-5111n, L4-11 with binding paper exit mechanism,  osm motor and Pcu pwb are fine

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrodh View Post
    That looks like part of the pass through for the finisher is still installed.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Did this machine have a finisher previously attached to it? That looks like you still have the fixing plate attached. Remove the plate in the second photo, 1 screw towards front of copier, then power cycle.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    That looks like part of the pass through for the finisher is still installed.
    I'm going to be a little dense here. You're going to have to help me out, as it's been several years since I've done this as my day job, and it's my first time working on a Sharp, although I do have the Service Manual, it's woefully inadequate in a lot of ways without other sources of information/experience.

I've considered removing that teflon piece and the silver bar next to it, as that's the thing I think is causing the problem. I can't fathom why/how the copier has worked for the past several months with those pieces installed without error. We've got a finisher (the piece after the paper exit mechanism, I assume) that has a stapler... I can take another picture if necessary.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Technician

Using my context clues, lol, it seems like the copier has been recognizing a finisher and disabling the OSM, but recently began to think that no finisher was installed and the fixer plate is causing problems?

Is my reasoning sound?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts harleyrider's Avatar

check your install guide for the finisher. the nylon piece locks the shifter from moving.

Technician

Lightbulb Re: MX-5111n, L4-11 with binding paper exit mechanism, osm motor and Pcu pwb are fin

Holy balls. Checked the wiring harness for the finisher after reviewing the finisher install guide per the above suggestion, and it was knocked loose. Lol.

Well, I scored with an ID10T error here. Spent 5 days sourcing a stepper motor ($9.50 vs. the $115 part from precisionroller), testing the motor, testing the PCU PWB, and beating my head up against the wall and it was a bloody plug. A BLOODY PLUG, I SAY!

Thank you all for your insight and for sharing your experience. I know a whole lot more about this machine than I did a week ago. Now if I can just get Spectrum out here to fix the cracked signal line for the internet, we'll be in good shape.

[SOLVED]