Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Question Sharp MXB402SC Constant DSPF Jams

Hello Everyone,

I have a MXB402SC that keeps pulling 2-4 sheets at the same time. Sounds like a basic sep roller issue but it isn't...

This triggers a constant SPPD1_S error.

I've replaced the Doc feeder rollers with new ones and also replaced the the torque limiter. Nothing has helped.

I don't think it is a pickup clutch issue. The pages are not staggered they are directly on top of each other. It's not like the pickup roller goes for an extra turn to grab another sheet an inch or 2 later...

Any ideas?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: Sharp MXB402SC Constant DSPF Jams

You have done the obvious, next would be to check the paper itself that they are feeding and see if it is sliding off easily or catching the next page as it goes through. If the papers have been sitting in a file for a long period they may be really compressed. The other solution would be to replace the ADF.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp MXB402SC Constant DSPF Jams

All the small Sharp document feeders have basically the same problem: it takes only a small amount of contamination to make the registration (and all the other transport rollers) slip. And it's really inconvenient to properly clean said rollers. It's usually necessary to remove the top covers, then separate the DF mechanical frame section from the base, before you can access all the rollers. I usually use an orange oil based cleaner (for me Contractor's De-Sol-Vit, but brand doesn't really matter). Once all the rollers are clean I think you'll find that it feeds pretty reliably for about 6 months ... then you can do it again. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

We also encounter that kind of problem in MX-M565N DSPF, first thing we usually replace was the 3 main rollers (Pick up roller, Separation roller and the Document feeder roller) and we properly shuffle the paper, but there are also times that even you replaced those rollers problem would still occur, we do not give much attention on the clutches if the feeder can still feed 30 or more pages, because once a clutch was already faulty it will continuously fuck you up, so we just focus on feeding part of the DSPF, since rollers are already replaced and paper was shuffle properly and you think clutches are working just fine,, hmmmmmmmm... maybe the gum between the separation roller and the document feeder below the pick up roller might be the problem, the one who touches the papers.... just an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    All the small Sharp document feeders have basically the same problem: it takes only a small amount of contamination to make the registration (and all the other transport rollers) slip. And it's really inconvenient to properly clean said rollers. It's usually necessary to remove the top covers, then separate the DF mechanical frame section from the base, before you can access all the rollers. I usually use an orange oil based cleaner (for me Contractor's De-Sol-Vit, but brand doesn't really matter). Once all the rollers are clean I think you'll find that it feeds pretty reliably for about 6 months ... then you can do it again. =^..^=

I've pulled this one apart a couple times over the past year, its awkward design is a pleasure to work on lol. This particular feeder has almost 400,000 pages on it... It is heavily used

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There are some springs that lift the separation roller holder up into position. I replace the plate and the springs at the same time. They are located under the OC mat. Also replace the 2 separation pads on top. They are all in section 4 in the parts manual.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have had this problem before with a MX B402SC that was within 2-3 months of installation. Replacing the torque limiter was the fix. The customer was doing some heavy duty scanning, trying to convert all their existing paper documents into pdf files. They were having a lot of multi-sheet feeding problems.

I compared the tension of the old torque limiter to the replacement torque limiter and found a noticeable difference. The replacement torque limiter was significantly tighter.

I was concerned that the replacement torque limiter may be just as bad (low tension) as the existing one on the machine. But as it turned out the replacement offered more tension and corrected the problem.

You might want to compare the tension between the old and new torque limiter, if they are about the same that could explain why replacing the torque limiter didn't help.

I would try one from another known good feeder if you can, or at least use it to compare the tension between one that works and one that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    I have had this problem before with a MX B402SC that was within 2-3 months of installation. Replacing the torque limiter was the fix. The customer was doing some heavy duty scanning, trying to convert all their existing paper documents into pdf files. They were having a lot of multi-sheet feeding problems.
    I compared the tension of the old torque limiter to the replacement torque limiter and found a noticeable difference. The replacement torque limiter was significantly tighter.
    I was concerned that the replacement torque limiter may be just as bad (low tension) as the existing one on the machine. But as it turned out the replacement offered more tension and corrected the problem.
    You might want to compare the tension between the old and new torque limiter, if they are about the same that could explain why replacing the torque limiter didn't help.
    I would try one from another known good feeder if you can, or at least use it to compare the tension between one that works and one that doesn't.
    I tried a brand new torque limiter. To be honest when I compared them they felt pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mttech View Post
    There are some springs that lift the separation roller holder up into position. I replace the plate and the springs at the same time. They are located under the OC mat. Also replace the 2 separation pads on top. They are all in section 4 in the parts manual.
    This makes logical sense to me, I will try it next. Thanks!

I'll order these parts tomorrow and let you guys know.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    ... I was concerned that the replacement torque limiter may be just as bad (low tension) as the existing one on the machine. But as it turned out the replacement offered more tension and corrected the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon55 View Post
    I tried a brand new torque limiter. To be honest when I compared them they felt pretty similar.
    Personally, I think that your finger grip may not be the most accurate testing procedure for a torque limiter. I never could really tell any difference just twisting on it, myself. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=