Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent bars on 11x17 print (booklet)

20170913_135855_resized.jpg20170913_135917_resized.jpg

Let me start off by saying that I am fairly new to the world of Sharp. I am more familiar with Konica Minolta, OkiData, Samsung and a bit of Panasonic.

We have just inherited a few service contracts for a handful of Sharp MFPs.
    This one has been an ongoing issue for about 2 months now. My client and myself are getting quite frustrated. These images are not always the outcome. The band going down the page is always the same thickness, but it started off being thin horizontal lines, then changed to little triangles (with a 90 degree corner), and now this one is the latest.
    List of parts changed:
    Drum (entire assembly)
    Developer (entire assembly)
    Fusing (entire assembly)
    Transport section (entire assembly)
    and finally the Laser assembly.
    I have also tried a new driver since the problems seems to only happen during printing.

It seems the problem happens only when she is printing manuals, which are done as a booklet with 11x17 20lbs paper.

I am out of ideas. The only thing left would be the boards, but since I am not familiar with Sharp, which one would cause this? Or can it be as simple as a firmware update?

Any help is appreciated!!
    Thanks

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Re: Intermittent bars on 11x17 print (booklet)

A model number would help us help you.
    If it is happening on prints only, try clearing print memory (sim 67-17, I think).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

I'm sorry, I thought I had written it in there, but it was just in the tags. It's an MX-M850.

-- Looking through the Service Manual, there is no 67-17 listed. The closest I found is 67-31 - Used to clear the printer calibration value. <-- Is this the one?
    Last edited by EricT; 09-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Before swapping PWB's I would go into "emergency boot mode" by flipping dip switch #1 on the MFP PWB. When you turn the machine back on it will be in emergency boot mode. Rewrite firmware from here. This rewrites the ENTIRE firmware. This would be an easy next step before ordering PWB's. It is explained in detail in the firmware section of the service manual.
    The Moose is loose!!

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricT View Post
    I'm sorry, I thought I had written it in there, but it was just in the tags. It's an MX-M850.

-- Looking through the Service Manual, there is no 67-17 listed. The closest I found is 67-31 - Used to clear the printer calibration value. <-- Is this the one?
    Maybe, it's 67-14; sorry, I don't have the manual, and I'm relying on my aging memory.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Are the booklets you are printing in PDF format? I've seen Sharps produce weird lines like yours while printing PDF docs. The solution is one of 3 things:

- Update the Firmware
    - Print your PDF as an Image
    - Print and create your PDF with a different PDF Program (there are many) Foxit, Adobe etc etc. I've seen this issue with Adobe Acrobrat reader more than any other.

Problems can occur when you print a PDF file. For example, a PDF file can contain damaged content such as images or fonts that Acrobat cannot process during printing. Printing a PDF file as an image bypasses that processing by sending the printer a simple image of the document instead. This process can cause images and fonts to look slightly rougher, especially at the edges. However, you can specify the resolution in dots per inch (dpi) to suit your needs.

All the booklets are PDFs, and we have already tried the "print as image". We've had an issue with some Konica Minolta models (slow prints). I do not think it's a PDF issue because my client can print off 50 copies of the same booklet, and only 1 or 2 pages out of every 5th or 6th booklet comes out with a line.
    I am going to try the firmware and will keep you posted!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Being that this is an 850, I have to dust of parts of my brain....
    PM kit 850KA includes a sheet that must be applied flush and without bubbles; bulletin TT-20382 covers this.
    Also, the 850 will get slack in the web and rest on the upper roll, causing CQ issues.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricT View Post
    All the booklets are PDFs, and we have already tried the "print as image". We've had an issue with some Konica Minolta models (slow prints). I do not think it's a PDF issue because my client can print off 50 copies of the same booklet, and only 1 or 2 pages out of every 5th or 6th booklet comes out with a line.
    I am going to try the firmware and will keep you posted!

Are they using Adobe Reader DC?

If they are, try this:

Navigateto:

EDIT > PREFERENCES >SECURITY (ENHANCED) > UNDER SANDBOX PROTECTIONS, UNCHECK THE BOX FOR"ENABLE PROTECTED MODE AT STARTUP".

Unchecking this boxresolve the problem immediately. Checking the box will make the problem returnimmediately.

20171003_150830_res.jpg20171003_150854_res.jpg20171003_150906_res.jpg20171003_150922_res.jpg20171003_151021_res.jpg20171003_151033_res.jpg20171003_151057_res.jpg20171003_151121_res.jpg

Client found some old examples of the other markings it was doing. The solid black bars, if you look closely, have very thin white lines through it horizontally.

Firmware update/re-write is done (was already at the latest version)

Client is still having the problem