Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Conectivity issue with MX-503

OK Guys here is a weird one that I am posting in Sharpsection and Connectivity section.
    We have a Sharp MX-503 that we installed about six monthsago that immediately had connectivity issues. The customers IT departmentseemed to solve it but now claims it has been an ongoing issue.
    Their IP Range is kind of weird like 172.16.41.55 as anexample. When we enter an IP address that has been used for a previous MFP we cannotping the address or connect to the machines imbedded web page. If we allow DHCPto select the address we can ping and connect to web page. If we make that a static address the machinewill stay connected until it is either turned off or goes into sleep mode. Itwill usually not be connected by next morning but not always.
    Yesterday I took a newer model a MX-365 and attempted toconnect to the network with the MX-503s IP address it is doing as I described Iwent from a 503 that I could ping and connect to, to a 365 that won’t connectwith the exact same IP address. Sharphad a series of things to try that had no impact and the customers IT Department says they have done all they cando. We feel something sees the IPaddress and blocks it however the customer says their HP Printers have noIssues. We even connected to an old HP Printers IP address and it worked untilwe turned it off and on. When we connecton our network at our office the units behave normally. Any help is appreciated

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Conectivity issue with MX-503

We had something similar going on with a Savin 401. Customer claimed the unit kept dropping off the network, so we brought in a Sharp 402 for testing and it did the same thing. We connected the device to a different Ethernet port, and the issue went away.

Just a suggestion here...but I ALWAYS grab an IP address that's well out of the DHCP range of addresses. With all the smartphones, tablets and laptops grabbing every available IP address, unless their IT people are using MAC Address filtering, an IP conflict could ALSO be your culprit.

Good luck... try to not pull ALL your hair out, and no strangling of the IT people!! Some folks consider it rude....regardless of how much they deserve strangling!

Technician

We had the same issue with a MX-M365 after comcast replaced a faulty gateway router. The only way way that we could resolve it was to set it up as dhcp and reserved the ip address.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    We had something similar going on with a Savin 401. Customer claimed the unit kept dropping off the network, so we brought in a Sharp 402 for testing and it did the same thing. We connected the device to a different Ethernet port, and the issue went away.

Just a suggestion here...but I ALWAYS grab an IP address that's well out of the DHCP range of addresses. With all the smartphones, tablets and laptops grabbing every available IP address, unless their IT people are using MAC Address filtering, an IP conflict could ALSO be your culprit.

Good luck... try to not pull ALL your hair out, and no strangling of the IT people!! Some folks consider it rude....regardless of how much they deserve strangling!
    This is happening immediately when it turn off and back on if it was an IP conflict I would be able to ping the IP address and get a pely with our machine off. & too late all hair is gone.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Sounds like an IP conflict. Could be that there are other machines/computer/smartphones in the network that has static with the same IP as that MFP.
    Most likely you got a 162.xxx.xxx.xxx (ZeroConf).

This happened to me in the field, an example was when someones LAPTOP for some reason was only getting the same IP that was supposed to go to the copier. So everytime he turns WIFI on, the laptop would get the IP, and crap hit the fan.

I solved this, and this is what I recommend. That you stop doing Static on the MFP. Why? because the truth is, static IP's have caused a crapton of problems (for me). I say leave the MFP on DHCP, go to your router (or DHCP SERVER) and RESERVE the IP address with MAC ADDRESS reservation.

Pretty sure this should fix your problems. Let us know.

Good luck.

EDIT:
    *NOTE* When I first told the IT guy, he said the IP was being leased to only one machine, but he wasn't able to see it in the network. The IP that he said was going to a the machine, was actually going to a laptop. How the hell this happened, I'm not sure, but he said that's impossible, it's being leased to the machine, I even had to take a picture of the IPCONFIG /all, send it to him. Even if I DHCP /Released and /Renews in the CMD, it still got the same IP. This was an MX-M283.
    Last edited by JLSam; 10-25-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    Sounds like an IP conflict. Could be that there are other machines/computer/smartphones in the network that has static with the same IP as that MFP.
    Most likely you got a 162.xxx.xxx.xxx (ZeroConf).

This happened to me in the field, an example was when someones LAPTOP for some reason was only getting the same IP that was supposed to go to the copier. So everytime he turns WIFI on, the laptop would get the IP, and crap hit the fan.

I solved this, and this is what I recommend. That you stop doing Static on the MFP. Why? because the truth is, static IP's have caused a crapton of problems (for me). I say leave the MFP on DHCP, go to your router (or DHCP SERVER) and RESERVE the IP address with MAC ADDRESS reservation.

Pretty sure this should fix your problems. Let us know.

Good luck.

EDIT:
    *NOTE* When I first told the IT guy, he said the IP was being leased to only one machine, but he wasn't able to see it in the network. The IP that he said was going to a the machine, was actually going to a laptop. How the hell this happened, I'm not sure, but he said that's impossible, it's being leased to the machine, I even had to take a picture of the IPCONFIG /all, send it to him. Even if I DHCP /Released and /Renews in the CMD, it still got the same IP. This was an MX-M283.
    I'm not sure I agree with not doing static IP setups. MAC reservation works well inside the DHCP range but, sometimes this feature is not available (due to setup issues or no accessibility). The key to a static setup is to make sure the static IP is outside the DHCP range and of course not used by any other device. You need to confirm this by logging into the router. I've seen customers that use the whole IP range as DHCP 2-255, I change this to a smaller range to allow for some static IP's.

In an ideal world all static IP's used would be documented by the customer. lol

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Any update on this issue? Would be curious to know how situation was resolved.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Try placing a cheap 5 port hub between machine and network. If this works, ask IT if they are using a POE port and request a non POE port or leave switch in place.

Have see POE do some strange things.