Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    DV Unit losing magnetism

Re: DV Unit losing magnetism

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatXLIV View Post
    Thanks guys. Found the tool blackcat created and it worked beautifully. Looks like I need to speak with my pm guy now... smh
    With an older machine the foam seals start to deteriorate, and if using a brush or vacuum to clean, the foam will find it's way under the doctor blade and travel to a different area if not removed.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    DV Unit losing magnetism

So how do you guys clean out your developers on a pm. Unless you remove the blade and the augers I dont think the vacume does much on the inside. In the shop after I clean it out with vacume I will blow out the inside of the unit. Out in the field to me it does not seem like you can do a great job on cleaning it without taking it apart. Maybe you guys are taking them apart. Just for my knowledge to find a better way, how do you guys clean them in the field.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ntbann View Post
    Your DV doctor blade is built up. If you look on ctn you will find a post by Black Cat where he makes a hook from mylar to get the chunks out.
    Where can i find Black cat post with mylar rig, thanks.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    So how do you guys clean out your developers on a pm. Unless you remove the blade and the augers I dont think the vacume does much on the inside. In the shop after I clean it out with vacume I will blow out the inside of the unit. Out in the field to me it does not seem like you can do a great job on cleaning it without taking it apart. Maybe you guys are taking them apart. Just for my knowledge to find a better way, how do you guys clean them in the field.
    Most our customers cannot tolerate a toner vac being on due to the machines being in open plan offices.

So I empty them manually.

I use a little 1/2 inch paint brush to get in the hard to reach places.
    Then I keep gently shaking and tapping the dev unit upside down while rotating dev roller with my finger.

I just keep going until there are no iron filings left when I rotate the mag roller.

Takes me about 10 minutes per dev unit.
    I've never had any problems after a dev change with void areas.

When I take a new junior tech out with me on a PM I always like to ask them to empty out a dev unit without giving them any additional tips.
    It's good training as most of the time I can demonstrate just how much old dev still remains in the unit after they proclaim it's empty.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Most our customers cannot tolerate a toner vac being on due to the machines being in open plan offices.

So I empty them manually.

I use a little 1/2 inch paint brush to get in the hard to reach places.
    Then I keep gently shaking and tapping the dev unit upside down while rotating dev roller with my finger.

I just keep going until there are no iron filings left when I rotate the mag roller.
    There is a tool from Sharp to rotate the dev roller true the gears, so you don't have to use you're finger. It is very handy.
    It is called the "DV HANDLE" and the parts code is "UKOG-0341FCZZ"

dv handle.jpg

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

That will make it a little easier.
    Those gears are not finger friendly to rotate.

Cheers.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

where exactly do I find this tool you speak of...I'd like to see what it looks like...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dwarf View Post
    where exactly do I find this tool you speak of...I'd like to see what it looks like...
    You can get it from a sharp distributor. This is what it looks like. (currently changing Dev on site. Forgive dirty working hands).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Note:** I've seen MANY techs make their own from spare parts machines. Just take the gear from the back that turns the DV, and attach to a turn handle. Like the green adf transport handle. And they work great! DV Unit losing magnetism

Good luck