Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Sharp Copiers Stuck in power loop

I have a customer with 17 copiers in a building. 5 of which have the newer sharp user interface (2 Sharp MX-904s, 1 MX-7040, 1 MX-6240, and 1 MX-3140).

The five with the newer interfaces have been giving me issues. Back in August the 904s, the 6240, and the 7040 started a power loop that lasted about 4 hours a day, for 3 days. The 3140 was not in the building yet.

By power loop, i mean that the machines would just keep restarting anywhere between 3-6 min of use. We were able to get rid of this issue the first time by letting the machines sit unplugged for about 2 hrs. This problem only happens when the devices are plugged into the network.

Yesterday NOV 9 we switch out a MX-3100 (Older UI) for a MX-3140 (New UI). When we try to set up papercut on the 3140, which is in a different location than the other 4 (same network), using the external applications settings, after the reboot, it triggers all 5 machines to start a power loop.

The 3140 shows that it cannot connect to papercut and continues to power loop with the other 5.

We can fix this by unplugging the 3140 and letting the other machines sit unplugged for about 2 hrs. but once we try adding the 3140 to paper cut the issue continues. We also don't know if this is a permanent fix for the other 4.

The customer is very unhappy with what is going on right now. I called sharp and papercut and neither have seen this issue before, and I am waiting for a response. I am at a loss on what to do and am reaching out to you guys.

Thanks,
    Nicolas Forsythe

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: Sharp Copiers Stuck in power loop

Network issue somewhere since as you say, This problem only happens when the devices are plugged into the network.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Sharp Copiers Stuck in power loop

It's been awhile, but make sure you are not using a WSD port, and turn off any ports not being used.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Using PaperCut necessitates having the network connected at all times, for authentication. It makes me wonder if it's some sort of conflict between PaperCut and the MX-3140. Can you bring in a different model, even as a loaner, just to determine if that will resolve it? At least in the short term, that will take some of the pressure off of the situation. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

We plan on putting a machine with an older UI there for now because we know it works. Thanks for the replies. I will post here if we find the solution.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Latest firmware on all?

Disable WSD and IPv6 on them devices and see if it helps.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Had very similar situation.....Large car dealership....majority of printing was taking place from an AS400 mainframe......

When ever a certain job from the AS400 hit the Sharps, it would cause a reboot of the copier

You may need to do a packet capture to see exactly what is causing the issue.

But first as someone mentioned, turn off all unused protocols and services. Turn off all unused ports in Security settings.

I've also run into issue with Spiceworks (network monitoring software) and the Tandem copy feature, I believe port 50001

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Also make sure RARP is off under Protocol >TCPIP settings

If that is still even an option

Quote Originally Posted by nforsythe View Post
    I have a customer with 17 copiers in a building. 5 of which have the newer sharp user interface (2 Sharp MX-904s, 1 MX-7040, 1 MX-6240, and 1 MX-3140).

The five with the newer interfaces have been giving me issues. Back in August the 904s, the 6240, and the 7040 started a power loop that lasted about 4 hours a day, for 3 days. The 3140 was not in the building yet.

By power loop, i mean that the machines would just keep restarting anywhere between 3-6 min of use. We were able to get rid of this issue the first time by letting the machines sit unplugged for about 2 hrs. This problem only happens when the devices are plugged into the network.

Yesterday NOV 9 we switch out a MX-3100 (Older UI) for a MX-3140 (New UI). When we try to set up papercut on the 3140, which is in a different location than the other 4 (same network), using the external applications settings, after the reboot, it triggers all 5 machines to start a power loop.

The 3140 shows that it cannot connect to papercut and continues to power loop with the other 5.

We can fix this by unplugging the 3140 and letting the other machines sit unplugged for about 2 hrs. but once we try adding the 3140 to paper cut the issue continues. We also don't know if this is a permanent fix for the other 4.

The customer is very unhappy with what is going on right now. I called sharp and papercut and neither have seen this issue before, and I am waiting for a response. I am at a loss on what to do and am reaching out to you guys.

Thanks,
    Nicolas Forsythe

i faced same problem now. Any idea?

I have experienced this type of problem repeatedly accross our installed base. Machine shuts off, powers up, data light flashes a few times, machine shuts off, repeat, repeat, repeat. What we think is happening is a phishing program gets to the device through an internet print job. The phish program has a simple executable instruction that the copier is unable to resolve so it restarts in an attempt to execute the command, repeat, repeat. One municipal IT department had our machine behind a second firewall in a sensitive area and this problem came up with the machine. It took 3 days for the funky print job to show up in the spooler. I have taken our machine's IP address and plugged it into a HP when this is going on and the error 49.xx fatal error came up immediately. This issue would be a great side discussion.