Technician

PDPPD1_S jams in a MX-7040 with a FN19

I’ve got a MX-7040 with a FN19 finisher. I’ve been having this jamming issue that has been driving me nuts. Paper folds up in the beginning of the pass through unit around the first and second rollers on letter size only (right after leaving the fuser) resulting in PDPPD1_S and POD1_S jam codes. Happens after about 20 or so copies. Checked and cleaned all the rollers. Changed the paper type to 23-28# with no affect. Took the cover off the front of the drawer so I could see if the gate was closing or the tray rollers stopping and they all looked good. Set the paper type to pre-punched and it runs fine (just a lot slower). I’ve had to upgrade the firmware recently because of a SD card going bad as well. This is a usually reliable machine until recently with 150K BW and 240K color on it. Anything I’m missing?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: PDPPD1_S jams in a MX-7040 with a FN19

You might have to replace a sensor, they are kind of a weak point in the whole process when it comes to Sharp machines. Sim 30 should have that one on it and you can test the sensor there. Looks something like this when you get to it. http://www.precisionroller.com/img/H2964.wh.jpg

Edit: part number in case you dont have em on hand, VHPGP1A73A+-18

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If it is said sensor, and you have to order it, I would order at least 10. That is a known bad sensor (MX-xx41 series). They are located in the PF and ADF areas. Sharp received a bad lot of them. The slit for the LED to shine through is too small. It may sporadically work, or it may stop working all together. I carry at least 10-20 of them in my tool case. You don't see them flake out very often anymore, but there are still some bad ones out there!
    The Moose is loose!!

Technician

Thanks. So I head back over there yesterday to test it out. I ran SIM 7-1 thinking that if it would complete then that would prove it was the sensor. I had one with me because I had to change out one from a 3640's ADF a few weeks ago. Changed the paper back to plain instead of prepunched and when I ran some copies, nothing came out. Opened the drawer and saw that the paper ended up above the pass through drawer. Evidently the gate didn't open and it just came out of the fuser and stacked relatively neatly right there. Reset the machine and ran 150 copies without any problems. Stood around while the client sent a bunch of jobs to it and still had no issues. Let them know it was back to normal and left. I'm going to check on them over the next few days but other than that I don't know what else to do.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Good work I'd say. Always nice when it's not a complete beating. Though I do sympathize with the paranoia.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet2501 View Post
    Good work I'd say. Always nice when it's not a complete beating. Though I do sympathize with the paranoia.
    "Paranoia" or paranormal - for an unknown fix, I've said for a few years now, that it's AM or FM.
    Another Miracle or Freaking Magic. 😎
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Two things cause this on the Polaris machines:
    1. solenoid that controls the entrance gate to the paper pass must be adjusted. Take off the front of the paper pass cover to access this solenoid.
    2. the gate has "dampening pads" on either end of the gate. Over time these " dampening pads" become old and sticky and become "jam causing pads". You can remove these but the noise is dramatically louder.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!