Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Software/ Tray selection issues.

I've a large customer who have a number of sharp mfps and a number of hp laserjets.

They use a bespoke piece of software, that when it opens word tray selection is unavaliable.

The problem is the hp tray one is the "bypass" and isn't used. So tray two is plain and tray three is letterhead.

Is there a way I can tell the sharp that tray one is tray two and tray two is tray three?

They have a selection of different MX models mono and colour.

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Software/ Tray selection issues.

If you don't need tray 1 at all for printing you could prohibit "printing" from the tray settings

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks, thats an interesting idea. But I'd like to keep tray one as the plain paper but make the copier think it was tray two.

If available in the printer properties when they print you can have them choose the paper type they want to print on instead of the paper tray.

The copier will then choose the proper tray for the type of paper they select.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Unfortunately the software overrides printing preferences. It uses the options in page layout in word, they are locked as changing them upsets the HP printers. The HP printers are getting priority, that won't change

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

The issue is the file and what I call "The Print Hierarchy". The top priority is the file, then the print driver, then the machine settings. So if your Word document is built to select a certain tray, it will always want that tray because that is what the file is asking for. You can also build files to only pull matching paper types.
    There are 2 rules in printing, size and type must match. Sharps do us techs a huge disservice when the machine states "paper empty". It is not empty, size or type does not match, the wording just sucks. We take a ton of calls for poorly sent print jobs....

You could disable print as previously suggested, and have them re-select paper at the machine from the tray they want but this may not be acceptable to most customers as this is a work around.
    Tweaking the file will cure all of your issues.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    The issue is the file and what I call "The Print Hierarchy". The top priority is the file, then the print driver, then the machine settings. So if your Word document is built to select a certain tray, it will always want that tray because that is what the file is asking for. You can also build files to only pull matching paper types.
    There are 2 rules in printing, size and type must match. Sharps do us techs a huge disservice when the machine states "paper empty". It is not empty, size or type does not match, the wording just sucks. We take a ton of calls for poorly sent print jobs....

You could disable print as previously suggested, and have them re-select paper at the machine from the tray they want but this may not be acceptable to most customers as this is a work around.
    Tweaking the file will cure all of your issues.

But I think he saying the file is sent to both HPs and Sharps. The HP cassette is called tray 2, so he wants all devices to act like the HP does.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I appreciate that mojorolla unfortunately the work around isn't acceptable. Best I've been able to do is add letterhead type to bypass.

Your correct JR2ALTA I was just asking in hope more than expectation. Hopefully in future they will order three paper trays.