Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

MX-3100 losing connection

We Have a customer who has an MX-3100 that keeps losing its connection. When the unit is rebooted it starts connecting again.
    Of Course it never does this when we are there. Note this has worked in this location for 3 years and started doing it about 4 months ago. I want to blame a change to the network but customer claims all is the same. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: MX-3100 losing connection

Quote Originally Posted by xring1958 View Post
    We Have a customer who has an MX-3100 that keeps losing its connection. When the unit is rebooted it starts connecting again.
    Of Course it never does this when we are there. Note this has worked in this location for 3 years and started doing it about 4 months ago. I want to blame a change to the network but customer claims all is the same. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    It is hard to believe that there has not been at least a security change in their network for the last three years, even the last 4 months. It most likely is network related.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MX-3100 losing connection

Thanks
    what type of network is it? it the machine set to a static IP address? maybe try a new network cable?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Thanks
    Sounds like a Classic case of IP conflict. When your restart you receive your static IP. But I bet another computer, laptop, smartphone or any network device is getting that IP when they refresh, or restart their device.

Try IP reservation via Mac address on your router. MX-3100 losing connection

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

swap out the patch cable since its the easiest thing first which i assume you have done. turn off snmp on the sharp. make the site give you a new static IP for the machine for 2 reasons a)duplicate ip b)someone printing with non sharp driver causing it to freeze and drop off. no way to find the suspect pc easily but changing the ip will eliminate that issue unless they reinstall driver, and I have seen this happen when someone was using a PS driver from a KM mfp and just added the sharp ip address as a port and tried to print. ping the address before you plug in the mfp to make sure its clear. check the gateway against another working device. could also be a bad surge protector if you guys are using the gsp/sharp 5133 or whatever they call the power filters now. good way to test is ping the mfp with/without the surge filter in the loop and look at the response times. could also be a nic but not likely. I have only replaced maybe 5 since they have been out in the field and most were dead.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Check for POE (power over Ethernet)

Technician

If you still have the problem and tested all the countermeasures above, change your NIC speed from 1000 to 100.