Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-C401, E7-11 code...

Exclamation MX-C401, E7-11 code...

So, it says "white shading correction".. is this something to do with the optics/scanner, maybe being dirty or unable to read the white strip?

Or something more sinister? Customer is 50 miles away, so might like some heads up!

Thanks in advance.
    OC

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MX-C401, E7-11 code...

there is a simulation(62, I think) that is a shading simulation...

63-2

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-C401, E7-11 code...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    63-2
    Guys, does this mean that the optics are dirty, and that I should (maybe) be adjusting for that? And I don't know how to get into simulation on that model. Can you help answer these questions?

Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-C401, E7-11 code...

It all has to do with white plate, optics, CCD. If you have never tried to tear into the optics on one of these machines, then you will soon find out why a new scanner is only a couple hundred bucks. I would try sim 63-2, cleaning white plate, etc. before attempting to crack open the optics. The SCU PWB may be another possibility. What I am trying to say is this, if you attempt to get into the optics/CCD just make sure you have minimum of a couple hours. More than likely 3-4 hours, and have a new scanner bed with you. Sharp, as with any other manufacturer, always has that "screw the tech" machine out with every generation. The 402, 401, 311... are these machines. My experience has been that once you attempt to access the CCD/scanner, you will break the plastic tabs that hold it together. Oh, and did I mention that you have to remove the scanner bed to do this? Most orf the time the E7-11 is completely random. When it is not try everything else before the scanner itself. Just my $.02 worth....
    The Moose is loose!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

clean the optics...don't tear into anything...run 44-2/6/26 and and 46-24/74...then run the shading simulation... # - * - c - * will get you into sims...

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

These first run 401 machines are notorious for the glue holding the white strip to yellow with age. Unfortunately for us techs, it is on the underside of the platen glass. There is also a shading sheet required for proper calibration on various models. You can remove the ADF and scanner unit to crack open the scanner unit. I have found this to take about an hour in and out, but results will vary. As mentioned, this is not a fun process.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

Another "Quick fix" try is to oil the optics rail. We have learned over the years that sometimes the scanner does not jog back an forth quick enough when it initializes and can cause the E7-11. we have avoided getting into the optic box on a few machines by drilling a hole in the scanner box over the optic slide rail, move the scanner to the other side first with the simulation, then apply a little oil to the rail and run the scanner. It will not work every time, it depends on what is causing the problem, and we like to try everything before we remove the scanner box. ALSO, the other day problem was caused by a broken tension spring bracket for the optic drive belt. Was easy to see under the glass but had to replace the optic box.