Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: question!

Technician

Question question!

is there any possible way to add a password to a network shared folder on the address book from a sharp copier. For example say i have two departments one is accounting the other is HR. Both departments have there own network shared folder. One day, a person from HR accidentally pressed the accounting network folder instead of the HR. could have prevented that mistake, if the copier had asked for a password to access that folder. HR would have noticed they had selected the wrong shared folder after copier showed wrong password

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    question!

Re: question!

The MFP can authenticate with the PC, but I don't think that it can authenticate with the folder. That would require an additional layer of authentication. If you were to password the folder (and you can), the MFP could not access the folder.

You can, however, make certain folders viewable by certain users. So let's say you have scan folder A viewable by accounting people, and scan folder B viewable by engineering people. Naturally the scan to folder A setup would require the accounting login, and the scan to folder B using an engineering login. Does that make sense? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The MFP can authenticate with the PC, but I don't think that it can authenticate with the folder. That would require an additional layer of authentication. If you were to password the folder (and you can), the MFP could not access the folder.

You can, however, make certain folders viewable by certain users. So let's say you have scan folder A viewable by accounting people, and scan folder B viewable by engineering people. Naturally the scan to folder A setup would require the accounting login, and the scan to folder B using an engineering login. Does that make sense? =^..^=
    yes it makes sense. and that would be perfect. is there a guide on how to get those folders set for certain users. i know i would have to mess around with account control.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renzoh08 View Post
    yes it makes sense. and that would be perfect. is there a guide on how to get those folders set for certain users. i know i would have to mess around with account control.
    Go into the webpage, select the Address Book blue hyperlink on the left side.
    Below is a screenshot of the actual screen to setup a network folder. The part highlighted in red is for assigning passwords to folders.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    question!

what model?

Newer machines allow for set up of accounts. in this example HR and accounting .......when accounting logs in Home screen shows scan button for accounting. When HR logs in they have scan button for HR.

In other words you are creating a "HOME" screen for different users.

Technician

Im talking about a Sharp MX-M363N. The copier is old, but i really like what blackcat4866 brought to the table, if i can just allow certain users to view there corresponding network folder then that would be great.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    question!

That would be a function of the network not the copier