Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Angry Sharp MX 3640 (several) light/choppy black copy of a copy

I have several sharp aries 2 machines we have overhauled that are having copy of a copy trouble on BW only. Prints look great. All the machines have new drums, dv, transfer belts latest firmware and have been calibrated with sharps calibration process. I did make sure density sensors are clean. I have also tried doing 63-5 and doing adjustments with color SIT chart. colors are spot on and not faded at all. seems to get closest to original copy for bw copies in text mode. I have tried adjusting 46-19 also and that does not improve this issue. Raising the/ exposure does fix it but I do not want to do this as a fix since some machines do not have this issue. Does anyone know of a proper fix for this issue?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX 3640 (several) light/choppy black copy of a copy

From my experience making a copy of a copy on any of the sharp machines do not print out as clear as the original. You have to play with the settings each time until you get the best copy of the copy. The best way is to get the original copy on good quality paper and at the highest quality settings.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Sharp MX 3640 (several) light/choppy black copy of a copy

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    From my experience making a copy of a copy on any of the sharp machines do not print out as clear as the original. You have to play with the settings each time until you get the best copy of the copy. The best way is to get the original copy on good quality paper and at the highest quality settings.
    I generally agree with that statement, however I have some in the field that make better copies that others with the same adjustments on the same type of machine and same copy settings. I seem to remember there is some odd simulation we used to do to resolve this but I quite working on little boxes for a year and forgot what it was. I guess all the headaches of working on Polaris machines erased my memory. LOL. Hope someone can help with this. I am thankful for all replies.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: Sharp MX 3640 (several) light/choppy black copy of a copy

So I finally got to the bottom of the issue. We put non-oem drums in these particular Aries 2 machines and this caused the black copies to be lighter and choppy. swapping with a used sharp drum fixed the choppy issue and resolved the light copies issue to an extent. the other thing I did was to run SIM 61-11 Light then Mid then dark after clearing the laser auto correction values. this totally resolved the issue. Kind of an offer the wall fix but it works and is mentioned in a tech bulletin but not for the reason we used it. Cheers!