Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

MX--6070N Drum Failures Etc.

Took a recall from one of my techs today Machine had a C4-20. Went to call rebooted the machine & code came back as L4-19 another reboot and now L-4-18 these are drum motor locked up codes. I also noticed Cyan toner ctg had popped out so I replaced it. Waste toner seemed heavy but not calling to be replaced but I did so in case toner was backing up to the Drum units. I checked the drums and both Cyan & magenta had drum blades dragging and probably flipped. Both had been replaced as new units late last week for the same reason as well as the Black only about 50k on color and black. Only had one drum unit left in stock so I tried cleaning and powdering the blades Magenta kept failing but Cyan seemed OK. REplaced Magenta unit and Ran 25-01 to see what happened. The cyan drum failed again and I recleaned & powdered. None are showing the tell tell toner on the drums now but I can hear what I assume is the Cyan drum running. I replaced transfer unit and it removed one of the binding noises. So now if I run Black copies all seems well and quiet. If I run color I get a noise. Has anyone seen or heard of possible defective 6070 Drums. Seems odd that they failed soon after replacement. Any help is appreciated.

Re: MX--6070N Drum Failures Etc.

The problem is caused by the waste toner container not shutting correctly, the drums back up and cause the damage.The waste toner container has been modified. The bottom of the container should have three fins on each side to push the container in. The unmodified container only has one fin each side.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech101 View Post
    The problem is caused by the waste toner container not shutting correctly, the drums back up and cause the damage.The waste toner container has been modified. The bottom of the container should have three fins on each side to push the container in. The unmodified container only has one fin each side.
    Tech went back with another drum unit and he mentioned that they don't seem to have starting powder on them. He pulled the drum powdered drum and blade edge. Now all seems fine. Interesting note the old waste toner container I removed had the 3 fins.

Seems to me they are going to great efforts to make toner waste containers complicated.

Thanks for your response.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I have seen half a dozen of these wear the drive motors down to a non threaded stump. Anytime I see those L codes, I pull the back cover and pull the C and k drive motor. Seems to only happen with the machines that have the new style PCU pwb, the one with the soldered chips......

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

copierman 250+ Posts
    MX--6070N Drum Failures Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech101 View Post
    We had this problem today (even with the 3 fins on each side of the waste box) We found that the front can be closed without the waste being fully inserted, ours had the waste bottle full yet the machine did not recognize it as the actuator on the bottle was not reaching the waste toner full detect sensor. Both the magenta and Cyan drums had backed up causing the L4-18 and l4-19 codes. We have now put stickers on the bottles to tell users to make sure they hear the bottle click into place on both sides. (hopefully this will sort further codes)
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential