Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Dropout on duplex

While duplexing a print job dropout occurs. This is a MX-6240N with known good dev, drums and mc units. Single side looks good all day, dropout only occurs on duplex in bottom 3/4 of print where image is densest. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Dropout on duplex

Re: Dropout on duplex

It would help to see a sample. That being said, I think that you should focus on the fuser inlet guides and the duplex paper loop/buckle. I think that you'll find that the void exactly aligns with the moment that the second side enters the bite of the fuser rollers.

When the second side is imaged the paper already has some curl from it's first trip through the fuser. That means that the leading edge of the paper will strike a different area of the fuser inlet guides, possibly built up with toner, scarred, or out of adjustment. The traditional method of adjusting the height of the fuser inlet guide is to take a business card and start it into the bite of the rollers. The card should be perpendicular to the rollers ... maybe an illustration is in order:
    The card should touch the heat belt just before it enters the bite of the rollers. I apologize for the illustrations. It's just quickly hacked out of the service manual via screen shots.

If the duplex loop adjustment is too great you can also get that void.

How heavy is the media? Media weight can also play into this. =^..^=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

i've seen problems with secondary trans belt. first sided looked fine. second side in high image areas started to break up image. looked like lots of pinholes in image. i replaced belt. fixed problem

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It would help to see a sample. That being said, I think that you should focus on the fuser inlet guides and the duplex paper loop/buckle. I think that you'll find that the void exactly aligns with the moment that the second side enters the bite of the fuser rollers.

When the second side is imaged the paper already has some curl from it's first trip through the fuser. That means that the leading edge of the paper will strike a different area of the fuser inlet guides, possibly built up with toner, scarred, or out of adjustment. The traditional method of adjusting the height of the fuser inlet guide is to take a business card and start it into the bite of the rollers. The card should be perpendicular to the rollers ... maybe an illustration is in order:
    The card should touch the heat belt just before it enters the bite of the rollers. I apologize for the illustrations. It's just quickly hacked out of the service manual via screen shots.

Ibwill look into that today and upload a sample. Thank you for the insight.

Field Tech 500+ Posts
    Dropout on duplex

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

When we refurb these fuser units its the inlet guide is replaced as they get in a bad state.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.