Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet0946

Mx 3140 display not working

I'm new to the world of these copiers so I apologize is I do not use the correct terminology. My machine was installed by the store I purchased it from. For some reason I never checked anything they did. Turns out then didn't use the surge protector I supplied. Had a bad thunderstorm with lightning and now my machine doesn't work. When I turn on the main power, something turns on. Sounds like fans and typical sounds that it always made. However, the display doesn't turn on. The green light blinks beside the circle with what looks like a lightning bolt through it. The store wants $400 just to come look at it because I live pretty far away. So, I am wondering if I could check for easy problems first. Maybe the surge just blew a fuse (hoping). Is there a fuse diagram for these machines? I can't find one just by searching Google. Also, does anyone else have others ideas that I could check out? Money is tight and I need the machine operational asap so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Re: Mx 3140 display not working

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet0946 View Post
    I'm new to the world of these copiers so I apologize is I do not use the correct terminology. My machine was installed by the store I purchased it from. For some reason I never checked anything they did. Turns out then didn't use the surge protector I supplied. Had a bad thunderstorm with lightning and now my machine doesn't work. When I turn on the main power, something turns on. Sounds like fans and typical sounds that it always made. However, the display doesn't turn on. The green light blinks beside the circle with what looks like a lightning bolt through it. The store wants $400 just to come look at it because I live pretty far away. So, I am wondering if I could check for easy problems first. Maybe the surge just blew a fuse (hoping). Is there a fuse diagram for these machines? I can't find one just by searching Google. Also, does anyone else have others ideas that I could check out? Money is tight and I need the machine operational asap so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Hi try to press The green light blinks beside the circle with what looks like a lightning bolt through it.

Good luck

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ridgemill's Avatar

1. If the power LED is lit, but the sleep mode button is clear, then the machine is in low power mode. To wake, press the power button (usually holding for a few seconds).

2. If the power LED is lit, and the sleep mode button is flashing, then press that to wake the machine up.

3. If the power LED is not lit, then make sure the toggle switch inside the front of the machine is turned on, then go to 1.

See: TURNING ON THE POWER | MX-2640N/MX-3140N/MX-3640N USER'S MANUAL

If it still doesn't work, then the MFPB could be fried.

Prophet0946

Thanks! The power light blinks, sleep bottom light is off. Neither the sleep nor power button do anything.

If something just got fried, is the best way to test with a multimeter? And does anyone recommend a good source for parts?
    Thanks again!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet0946 View Post
    Thanks! The power light blinks, sleep bottom light is off. Neither the sleep nor power button do anything.

Is the best way to check the MFPB with a multimeter or is there another way? Also, does anyone recommend a supplier for parts!
    Thanks again!
    You will need a technician to troubleshoot and repair possible lightning damage. You will not be able to use your multi-meter without detailed schematics.
    Also incorrect usage of the multi-meter can cause further damage to the PCBs in your machine.

You should contact another copier repair technician. You can probably find a more reasonable repair rate by calling a few independents that service your general area.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

These machines have a history of bad SD cards that have that exact symptom.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm View Post
    These machines have a history of bad SD cards that have that exact symptom.
    my thoughts exactly, bad SDcard

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boutn View Post
    my thoughts exactly, bad SDcard
    I'd go with a bad SD card also!
    The Moose is loose!!

Technician

In my experience, One thing that should be checked before doing anything, go into CN update, and if the operations panel comes on, than you know the panel is ok. If the panel is blank in CN update, then is could be a back LVDS pwb, or ops panel. If the panel comes on, try to do the update, and that could fixied, or the next steps would be in this order. I would start with the SD card, then the SCN pwb, and then the MFP.

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    Hi try to press The green light blinks beside the circle with what looks like a lightning bolt through it.

Good luck
    I had the same problem and it was the main board, you need to move the SD card and EPROM to the new board