Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-M503 fans cycling on/off a lot

Customer complained about the fans comming on/off a lot. The fuser cooling fans seem normal. Low speed at idle,hi speed during operation. The small fan on the network board and also cools hard drive idles down then goes back up quite often. The fan is clean,also the fuser fans are clean. I updated the firmware,not suer of what else can be done. I dont think I would even notice it myself but the customer says it never did that before. She says it drives her nuts, I dont know, its not extremly hot in her office.

Re: MX-M503 fans cycling on/off a lot

Our machine in our shop the little fan by the hard drive spins up high speed when a copy is made or that is the first thing you hear when a print job is sent to machine. The machine at the customer the fan spins up like a print job was sent then it will spin down. It does this quite often. There are no stuck printjobs or nothing like that.

I didnt go to the customer today because I dont have any real soloutions yet,but I did talk to someone different on the phone. She gave me some different information that would have been nice to know. She said their IT person was there and put in a new server or something and the fan problem started happening after that. I told her I think it is something with their system. It is like a computer is trying to send a bad job to the copier over and over. Fan comes up like a print job comming in and then the fan comes back down and repeats.The copier shows nothing in the que. I told her to check their computers to see if one has a bad job in the que. Any other suggestions?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

I read somewhere on this site that someone had a cell phone that was using the wifi on the network and would connect to the copier while using it and it was intermittent and the copier would start but of course nothing would print. I did a quick search but could not find the thread.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

By any chance, is SNMP turned on in printer properties? Maybe, old server did not support SNMP, and new server does.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

I would guess there is some new software on the new server. Some type of security / anti virus software that is scanning the network.

The copier see's the activity as an in coming print job and starts to get ready to receive print job by firing fan.

Possible to have IT guy exclude the IP of the copier from the scan, if this is the case.

You may be able to go into the service side of web interface (Example 192.169.1.20/service_testpage.html password : service ) and download the system log.

There you can see almost everything that the happens with the machine. If you can pinpoint time you will see the IP that that is hitting the machine. If my scenario is correct, you will see the IP of the server hitting the copier at time of fan activation.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have had something similar to this happen on a couple occasions. Try doing a complete firmware upgrade, even if it is the latest and greatest, do the upgrade anyway. The 2 machines I had this very same problem were fixed by the reflashing of the firmware.
    The Moose is loose!!

Thanks for the help Guys. I think I will be going there today,or tomorrow. When I get this resolved I will let you know what it was.

Just getting back about this problem. I dont have a real answer. Since the cust said this only started happening after their IT person changed the server and If I remove the network cord and the machine acts normally. I told them the machine works fine,get back with their IT person. Also if I connect my laptop it is fine.

Sounds like you have isolated it to new server.......

Log in to machine's web interface and disable all unused ports.....located under security setting.

Something is definitely hitting the ip of the printer from the new server, the machine thinks this is an incoming print job and is spinning up laser etc to get ready to print.