Open tray 2 and add paper

Hi All,

Just after some assistance with an odd error we have on a Sharp MX2640.

The machine will prompt the client to add paper halfway through a print job so they open the tray to find paper still in it after closing the tray again the print job continues.

The first thing I thought was it's a paper mismatch so I remoted onto a PC on site checked the printer webpage to see what the trays had been set as... both trays reporting back empty got them to open and close the trays paper appears again.

We send an engineer out who;

tested the sensors in Sim mode
    replaced CSPD1 & CSPD2
    swapped the trays over to see if the error stays with tray or paper (stays with paper)
    carried out a firmware update on the machine

after trying each potential fix we had to wait for the error to come back again sometimes later that day others the next day never when an engineer was on site.

As the client was local we decided to bring the machine into the workshop and put another MX2640 into the client, tested the machine for two days straight no sign of the error.

The client has rung back and the error is on the other printer could this be a mismatch error that's causing the trays to appear blank in the webpage? I've checked the job log of the printer to see if I can find any clues they have had a number of 501 error's does anyone know what this means?

Sorry about rambling on any assistance would be appreciated.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Open tray 2 and add paper

If the error occurred on BOTH machines, then it most likely is the print driver... but I wouldn't be surprised if it were power related either. I would bring a circuit tester with me and verify that the machine is receiving the correct line voltage.

Next step would be to update the printer drivers, and see if that resolved the issue. If they're using a "Class Driver" from Windows, that can cause flaky things to happen as well.

Last thing to check are the page properties that they're trying to print. If they make any changes to the document, that will override the print driver default settings.

The dead giveaway was bringing the machine into your office, and no problems happening... as well as the same thing happening to a different machine. It's what I refer to as a "PICNIC" error....

Problem In Customer... Not In Copier

Good luck.

Technician

It sounds like its the paper feed tray upper limit switch CLUD1 or the paper empty sensor CPED1 for tray one and CLUD2 and CPED2 for paper tray two.
    These sensors seem to fail intermittently. You may have to replace all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dcooper View Post
    It sounds like its the paper feed tray upper limit switch CLUD1 or the paper empty sensor CPED1 for tray one and CLUD2 and CPED2 for paper tray two.
    These sensors seem to fail intermittently. You may have to replace all of them.

...if that were the case, they'd be able to duplicate the error in the shop. The loaner machine at the customer's location is doing the same thing.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

It happens on both machine's at their location....... so we know its not machine.

What application are they printing from?
    If one particular app see if you can replicate with a multi page doc from another app.

If a PDF ..... have you tried selecting "Fit to Page"?

Technician

there as been a few issues with the firmware for printing on this machine was it the same firmware on both machines ?

was the machine printing from tray 2 to start with then say out of paper ?

is there a print job in the print queue waiting to be printed for say A3 tray2 as this would keep popping up

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

LMAO...funny story for you all.
    I had a customer that was experiencing lock ups and the machine calling for paper. Pulled the job log and matched in to the error / jam log on the machine using the date time stamps. At every instance of a machine error, the job log showed a 501 error. I pulled the bulletin from 2008 with the errors and no 501 listed.
    I call Sharp and THEY DONT KNOW EITHER. I was told it means job stopped, which I already knew because the job log column literally says JOB CANCELLED by the 501 code. Thanks for nothing Sharp.

I am the trainer for my company and I happened to be teaching printing a few weeks later. One of the thing I teach is the job log. Sure as shit, my training machine was loaded with 501 errors. Turns out the errors is for sending a job and an aspect of the job is not met by the machine, usually paper size. If you re-select paper, the log shows a normal job. If you cancel the job, you get a 501 error.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Hi All, first of all I want to thank you all for your input.

Special thanks to guitar9199 I asked the client if we could move the copier to check the power socket since then no repeat of the error, we are going to monitor for few more days to see how it goes.

This is 100% something I'll remember going forward.

Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hindmoor View Post
    Hi All, first of all I want to thank you all for your input.

Special thanks to guitar9199 I asked the client if we could move the copier to check the power socket since then no repeat of the error, we are going to monitor for few more days to see how it goes.

This is 100% something I'll remember going forward.

Thanks again everyone

I deeply appreciate that. I'm glad I was able to offer a solution that didn't require hours of technician time, and thousands of dollars in circuit boards. LOL!!

Remind me to tell you sometime about the random "I.P. Conflict" I had once that kicked my butt for close to 3 MONTHS!!