Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-503 multi sheet feeding

Hello, This machine is multi sheet feeding from both tray 1 and 2. They both have new feed and separation rollers installed. I fanned and checked the paper,seems fine. I was thinking maybe it is the two feed clutches in the paper feed drive unit. It seems strange that both drawers would all of a sudden be doing it at the same time. Is there any other common thing that could be causing this problem on both drawers? Thanks for any help.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts DAKOTADAN's Avatar

Re: MX-503 multi sheet feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    Hello, This machine is multi sheet feeding from both tray 1 and 2. They both have new feed and separation rollers installed. I fanned and checked the paper,seems fine. I was thinking maybe it is the two feed clutches in the paper feed drive unit. It seems strange that both drawers would all of a sudden be doing it at the same time. Is there any other common thing that could be causing this problem on both drawers? Thanks for any help.

Go ahead and change all the sensors in both drawer feed assemblies,and the reg. area I have found some of the old style sensors in these models, and when one don't see the paper
    go by the pickup roller will keep pushing another sheet and the end up overlapping as they try to be fed thru the machine. Make sure you replace with the new style
    sensors that were shown on TB-1025 this will show where the different sensors are located, Hope this helps. Dan

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Do NOT know this model...
    BUT you seem to be spot on with the diag.

does the drive for BOTH trays from a MOTOR? ( gears/motor.. check function in SE/SP mode )

have you checked ALL sensors for proper register in Service Mode? Results? Have you CLEANED the sensors?

what have you done/tested/tried?

Thanks for the replies. The sensors I assumed were good mainly because I am not getting any jams. When you go through the papers that come out there will be some blank sheets mixed in. Maybe 2 blanks in 10. Both drawers are driven with the same motor and clutches.It just seems odd that both drawers are doing it all of a sudden. I was thinking over the weekend also maybe they got new or different paper that might be causing a issue. I have replaced all the rollers. I will check into the new style pickup roll. I was going to order new clutches. And I will keep the sensors in mind.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

We have also had issues with the drive units on this machine. The clutch before the PPD1 sensor and the cassette drive clutch will slip. Depending on the month and year there was a batch of sensors that were faulty. Can't remember if it was the spring on 2012 or 2013. They would cause all sorts of issues as well.

Good luck.

Bil

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    Depending on the month and year there was a batch of sensors that were faulty. Can't remember if it was the spring on 2012 or 2013. They would cause all sorts of issues as well.

Good luck.

Bil
    The tsunami that happened in Japan March 2011 took out a facility that has been making sensors for sharp for decades. Sharp found another vendor but quality was spotty. I always seemed to find the bad sensors in the ADFs of he lower priced units but there was a Bulletin that showed issues in system consoles and paper path sensors on machines themselves. Haven't seen a new bad sensor for a while but I would be suspicious of any sensor made after March 2011.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My recomendation is to try 1 tray at a time with only 1 sheet of paper. Then try 2 sheets to see if it jams.
    If it jams with 2 sheets, most likely a bad sensor and paper blowing by the sensor. Have had many flaky sensors.

I have not been back to customer yet,so nothing new to report. I am thinking maybe its their paper because the machine does not jam,so I dont think it is the sensors,although I will not rule them out. Its more like its not separating all the time and two papers go through at the same time. The separation and the other rollers were new.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    I have not been back to customer yet,so nothing new to report. I am thinking maybe its their paper because the machine does not jam,so I dont think it is the sensors,although I will not rule them out. Its more like its not separating all the time and two papers go through at the same time. The separation and the other rollers were new.
    If it is not calling a jam, then it is pulling 2 sheets together. even if the 2 sheets were offset a couple millimeters. It would be your separation in the cassette. Open a new ream of paper and try it. Also I recommend putting a dryer sheet in the cassette (out of the way of paper so it does not get pulled into copier) to eliminate static. I usually tell the customer that if it doesn't eliminate the static, at least it makes their paper smell good! This has honestly worked for me for over 34 years of working in this field. Worth a try!!
    The Moose is loose!!

Technician

its been a while since you posted anything about this problem. What did you decide was the fix action? I'm having the same issue in an MX-4050 and just ordered two new torque limiters for trays 1 & 2 since the part number changed in the manual. The part was changed from a ZZ to a Z1, so I figured they must have tweaked the limiter.