Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX B402SC Duplex Jams are back!!

OK... this is getting embarrassing...

A MX B402SC jams on duplex only...single sided is fine. I've already replaced the APPD1 and POD1 sensors, checked and lubed the switchback drive gears, swapped out the FN-12 inner finisher, and even switched out the the entire right door assembly just in case there was a warped transport path plate. No go.... STILL getting APPD1_N and POD1_S jams.

I saw an earlier forum post about the mounting plate for the finisher not being installed properly, so I'm going to check that next... but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm not too proud to take them! The customer is about a 45 minute drive away, so I want to show up armed with as much information (and parts) that I can carry!!

Thanks in advance gang!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts DAKOTADAN's Avatar

Re: MX B402SC Duplex Jams are back!!

Sorry I didn't see the earlier posts about what has been tried, but I have had alot of machine jams this summer on brand new machines caused by damp paper.
    Our humidity has been really high all summer. By bringing a sealed ream of good quality paper along and putting that in and having the problem go away
    has saved me a few times. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post

A MX B402SC jams on duplex only...single sided is fine. I've already replaced the APPD1 and POD1 sensors, checked and lubed the switchback drive gears, swapped out the FN-12 inner finisher, and even switched out the the entire right door assembly just in case there was a warped transport path plate. No go.... STILL getting APPD1_N and POD1_S jams.

I saw an earlier forum post about the mounting plate for the finisher not being installed properly, so I'm going to check that next... but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm not too proud to take them! The customer is about a 45 minute drive away, so I want to show up armed with as much information (and parts) that I can carry!!

Thanks in advance gang!

Quote Originally Posted by DAKOTADAN View Post
    Sorry I didn't see the earlier posts about what has been tried, but I have had alot of machine jams this summer on brand new machines caused by damp paper.
    Our humidity has been really high all summer. By bringing a sealed ream of good quality paper along and putting that in and having the problem go away
    has saved me a few times. Good Luck.

Great suggestion.... sadly, I already tried that..>LOL!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Great suggestion.... sadly, I already tried that..>LOL!
    dude ... knowing your posts/suggestions/knowledge traits in you past...

you just might be F**ked! I don't know that machine... but rarely can't finger things out... seems like you have covered ALL bases other than boards ( mainish)

sounds like my luck lately has rubbed off on you! sorry for you.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Thanks in advance gang!
    Disable jam detect with sim 7, to determine if it's mechanical or sensors.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Agreed with Zootech, because these machines are a clutch nightmare because there are so many packed into such a small area, so I would start there first, make sure all sensors are clean of paper dust, too. Also, try removing the inner finisher and see if it still jams on duplex with it removed. If it turns out to be mechanical here are easy things to try first... take these from a working parts box. 1) Fuser Unit 2) Primary/ Secondary transfer units ( I only suggest these as they are quick and easy to swap out and may eliminate a possible binding/ timing issue on duplex). 3) Fuser rear PG unit (Section 31) ( i have had dirty/ dry rotted rollers and heat bent guide/switch cause jamming issues) Next, is replacing clutches or sections 1.) There is an ADU clutch in the fusing delivery drive section ( Sec 33 #51/52) may need replaced. 4) Delivery upper PG unit- CDGiDM2427FC31 ( can be taken from a parts box).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I had the problem of the finnisher mounting plate installed wrong. There is not a lot of clearance between the top of the finnisner and the bottom of the scanner unit. If the finn mounting plate is not installed right there is no clearance for the paper to come out above finnisher then go back in. In my case another tech was there and had the finnisher out and not reinstall properly. You can shine a light above the finnisher and see the paper as it comes partially out during the process and see if it is getting stuck from comming out fully. Hope my explaination made sence.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Your jam codes are exiting the fuser and being stuck there, and not reaching the duplex entrance sensor, so basically the same jam by a different name.
    Just from those codes, it will exit the fuser into the exit section, then get stuck trying to go in reverse back into the duplex. Sounds like a turnaround, exit issue to me.
    As suggested aging using SIM7 tuen off sensors, if it runs, its a sensor problem. If it still jams, its mechanical / obstruction issue.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hope you have this already solved. I had this issue once when I had taken the scan glass off to clean a spill and did not get the bottom plate reseated correctly and it would stop the paper when trying to do a duplex copy, as previous mentioned there is not a lot of room between that and the finisher.

RESOLUTION!!!

It turns out the inner finisher bottom plate WAS mounted incorrectly, causing the delay jams!!

....I broke my own "K.I.S.S. Principle" rule on this one, and never gave the mounting plate a thought just because it would work "sometimes". Thank you to everyone that helped with this one.