Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Sharp MX M503N fuser web question and 25-2 dev calibration question

Hi guys/ girls.
    i just did the fuser maintenance kit on this box, as well as the charger kit, drum and developer.

i estimated 1.5 hours, took about 3.5 after running out 3 times to feed the meter. ( but kept the original estimated charge) next time, i will bid higher.

my question, and i used all OEM parts. the existing fuser web shafts, both had plastic spacers, on the non drive side. they were installed in such a way, i believe that one spacer/ collar has a rubber ring and i believe it is a friction fit against the other collar. maybe to keep web tight?

these collars, fit on the end of the aluminum web material shafts, and have splines to engage the grooves or notches on the two shafts.

the new web material shafts, didn't have these notches, so i could not use the original collars that were on it, and there wasn't any new style? couplers in the kit to take their place.

was there a bulletin? are those to be left out.?

i thought that without them, the web would unwind around the fuser roller, but i tried to unwind it and it is still held by the drive gear latch pawl. the machine was working fine when i left though.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS, when doing 25-2 dev calibration, the display said i think, "check drum" was the calibration carried out with this message successively?? i would have thought a new drum and developer, would have had slightly darker copy density.

thank you, have a great day, Jim

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Sharp MX M503N fuser web question and 25-2 dev calibration question

As far as the web, I would check the parts manual and see where those spacers are placed for the web. The reason it is saying "check drum" is because you need to reset the drum counter after replacing it, refer to section 8-3 in the service manual, on the correct procedure to reset drum counter. Furthermore, refer to the calibration procedure(s) after replacing drum and developer...also, located in section 8, ADJ 12A, that may resolve your light copy/print issue.
    Last edited by copiertec; 08-12-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    As far as the web, I would check the parts manual and see where those spacers are placed for the web. The reason it is saying "check drum" is because you need to reset the drum counter after replacing it, refer to section 8-3 in the service manual, on the correct procedure to reset drum counter. Furthermore, refer to the calibration procedure(s) after replacing drum and developer...also, located in section 8, ADJ 12A, that may resolve your light copy/print issue.

Thank you copiertec.
    I'll try your suggestions. I really appreciate your help.
    Have a nice weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    Hi guys/ girls.
    i just did the fuser maintenance kit on this box, as well as the charger kit, drum and developer.

i estimated 1.5 hours, took about 3.5 after running out 3 times to feed the meter. ( but kept the original estimated charge) next time, i will bid higher.

my question, and i used all OEM parts. the existing fuser web shafts, both had plastic spacers, on the non drive side. they were installed in such a way, i believe that one spacer/ collar has a rubber ring and i believe it is a friction fit against the other collar. maybe to keep web tight?

these collars, fit on the end of the aluminum web material shafts, and have splines to engage the grooves or notches on the two shafts.

the new web material shafts, didn't have these notches, so i could not use the original collars that were on it, and there wasn't any new style? couplers in the kit to take their place.

was there a bulletin? are those to be left out.?

i thought that without them, the web would unwind around the fuser roller, but i tried to unwind it and it is still held by the drive gear latch pawl. the machine was working fine when i left though.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS, when doing 25-2 dev calibration, the display said i think, "check drum" was the calibration carried out with this message successively?? i would have thought a new drum and developer, would have had slightly darker copy density.

thank you, have a great day, Jim
    First, regarding the fuser web in 283,363,453 and 503 series. I have a lot of this machine, but i didn't see any plastic spacer and rubber ring when ever i replace the web. The unit only have a gear, 2 metal shafts and one with 2 spring and a sponge roller. When replacing the consumables reset first the drum, developer and maintenance and be sure to remove the toner when calibrating the developer to prevent overtone.

Technician

The web for these machines is MX503wc and needs the notch at the ends of the rollers to drive the web and comes as above with two steel bars, sponge roller, and the web
    so I would think you have fitted the wrong web? and needs to be replace as soon as possible as the new rollers will get damaged if left.

did you do these sim after you reset the copy counters for drum and dev?

46-24
    46-02
    46-04
    46-05
    46-09
    64-05

i didn't do any sims except for the 25-2.

the one new web shaft on the drive end, did have one notch, that fits into the drive gear.
    its the other side that had these collars, with two notches on each shaft. the new one only had the notch for the drive side.

i double checked the Sharp box, and it was for the MX M503N, same as the machine.

interestingly enough, the two ? collars or friction hubs, are not shown in the parts manual.

so, apparently, they are not used any longer?
    possibly, there was a mod kit to convert an old style web housing to the new style web??

but, that's what i found.

i will go back this week and do the basic stuff i somehow forgot to do.

i guess i just figured resetting maintenance counters was somehow not needed??
    the machine is around 350K, and there was no indications on the display or anywhere else, that it was due for the PM, the drum or developer. the check drum light was only on when performing the calibration.

so, i guess that's why i lost my memory.?

i really appreciate all your help. have a great evening, Jim.

I have seen those collars on the web before. Like you said the new web rollers are not made so you can use the collars. I throw them out and I have not had any problems from not using them.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

re web: The previous tek used web units from 4101 series (MX-410WC).Thats what we do here. They have those "washers".
    Th.

thanks for the updates guys.

i guess since i only have one MX M 503 in the field, i will leave it as is.

i really appreciate the info about them not being needed any longer, and that it works properly without them.

i was trying to download the picture last night from phone of them, but it kept failing. i may try on the desktop so members might see what i am referring to.

Have a great day.