Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Sharp mx c3140 ADF jams

The 1st page thru this ADF jams-------stops as it leaves the slit glass to exit, and bunches up. If you remove it and start again the machine will run all day till it's left to sit for awhile again. I'm thinking there's a motor (probably magnetic style) that is sticking when the machine sits awhile. It never ever jams after you remove the 1st page jam no matter how big a pack your scanning, or how many people use it in a row------ leave it sit 15-20 minutes or so and the 1st page will jam. when it jams it's always the same place as it leaves the slit and goes backup into the feeder.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts DAKOTADAN's Avatar

Re: Sharp mx c3140 ADF jams

Check your ADF hinges to see if they are loose or a spring maybe pushing the ADF off the slit glass after it sits still for awhile. I know they have updated the hinges on this series since the machine came out. I like to start with the easy fixes first. Good Luck Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcavvet View Post
    The 1st page thru this ADF jams-------stops as it leaves the slit glass to exit, and bunches up. If you remove it and start again the machine will run all day till it's left to sit for awhile again. I'm thinking there's a motor (probably magnetic style) that is sticking when the machine sits awhile. It never ever jams after you remove the 1st page jam no matter how big a pack your scanning, or how many people use it in a row------ leave it sit 15-20 minutes or so and the 1st page will jam. when it jams it's always the same place as it leaves the slit and goes backup into the feeder.

no!!! it makes it past the slit glass and sorta crumples up in the throat of the exit. like it's crashing into dead rollers. after that initial jam it'll run like a champ as long as it's not a long while till some one uses it. that's why I thought there might be a separate drive for the ADF exit ( from an inch or so past the slit glass on out.)

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

If the jam codes are SPPD3 variants, pull the sensor and flip over the plastic bracket it sits in. There is a "dampening pad" under the actuator flag. Over time, this becomes a "why the hell is this sticky things here" pad. It slows or stalls the flag from returning in time.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Can you get to the sensor by pulling back the platen cover and get to it from the bottom??? and thank you very much with all the printer solenoids and flags I have to repair I never thought of a sticky sensor flag Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcavvet View Post
    Can you get to the sensor by pulling back the platen cover and get to it from the bottom??? and thank you very much with all the printer solenoids and flags I have to repair I never thought of a sticky sensor flag Thanks
    Yes you can get to the pad from the bottom of the ADF, just had this issue today. We ended up removing it completely.

thanx again

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Another symptom of the sticking sensor is the lead edge will usually be off. The timing of the sensors control the timing of the scan. If the sensor sticks, the entire image usually shifts towards the trail edge due to sensor signal being late.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Another symptom of the sticking sensor is the lead edge will usually be off. The timing of the sensors control the timing of the scan. If the sensor sticks, the entire image usually shifts towards the trail edge due to sensor signal being late.

ours was just a 1/2 inch blur in the middle of the page.