Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MX2640 and Apple Macs

My customer wants to start using User Codes on the Sharp machine to send, store collect print jobs and control who can print mono and colour. The problem I think I will have is that they use Macs as well as pc’s and I couldn’t see anywhere on the sharp driver on the mac where I can add a user number?

is it supported on Apple Mac?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Re: MX2640 and Apple Macs

It is. Make sure you have the driver installed, and you use the PPD driver, not airprint. It should be in the drop down menu when you are about to print something.

Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Technician

Should be under job handling, however os x mojave the latest OS may not have job handling drop down in certain app menus, so you'll be stuffed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX2640 and Apple Macs

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

For the latest and greatest OSX it will also work. You will need to scroll down or find the driver sys dialogue so you can get to the proper driver settings screen. I normally make a B/W driver with user codes and a color driver with the appropriate codes so the user doesn't need to think too hard about it. LOL

Good luck

Bil

Quote Originally Posted by Leebs14 View Post
    My customer wants to start using User Codes on the Sharp machine to send, store collect print jobs and control who can print mono and colour. The problem I think I will have is that they use Macs as well as pc’s and I couldn’t see anywhere on the sharp driver on the mac where I can add a user number?

is it supported on Apple Mac?

The new Mojave OS doesn't seem to support Job Handling when attempting to print Pdf's from finder / preview. If your customer has Acrobat Reader installed, get them to open the document with it and print from there. They should now have the "Job Handling" option available where authentication can be verified. On a side note, I have had a few customers telling me that their previous Adobe Acrobat is not opening documents within the Mojave OS and that there's not a version of Abobe Acrobat available to download for Mojave at present which I'm yet to confirm for myself.

I will update once confirmed.

I hope this Helps

Gareth

joelibby

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    For the latest and greatest OSX it will also work. You will need to scroll down or find the driver sys dialogue so you can get to the proper driver settings screen. I normally make a B/W driver with user codes and a color driver with the appropriate codes so the user doesn't need to think too hard about it. LOL

Good luck

Bil
    Bill,
    Scrolling down in Mojave doesn't seem to help. I've set the Driver System Prefs to include Authentication, but i can't get it to show up in the Print Dialog Box. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
    Joe

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joelibby View Post
    Bill,
    Scrolling down in Mojave doesn't seem to help. I've set the Driver System Prefs to include Authentication, but i can't get it to show up in the Print Dialog Box. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
    Joe
    Joe, I will have to get back to you about that. We only have 2 customers at the moment that have the latest OSX installed (that I'm aware of anyway) and neither use account authentication to print so I will have to see what their PDF print window looks like. What PDF viewer software are they using?

Good luck

Bil

Having said that, have they tried a different browser or PDF viewer software. Have been having a lot of issues with PDF's printing properly from browsers. Safari, Firefox and Chrome all have had some issues.
    Last edited by bilyahn; 02-26-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX2640 and Apple Macs

To get authentication to show up while printing from browser....

Open Word or some other app like Pages. Go to print and set up authentication as normal then save as a preset.

The preset will show in the browser

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    MX2640 and Apple Macs

mansard it 100% right!! i spent 2 days trying to figure that out.