MX-3610n scanning to network folder

Hello All,

I have a MX-3610 at a bank that they use to scan to a network folder on their server. The original problem was scans would get "stuck" in the queue and back up all the other scans behind. When I got on site to check, the queue had 20 plus scans waiting to send, scan at the top was just sitting there on "sending". I power cycled the machine like the customer had been doing and they all sent immediately once powered back on.

I updated the firmware, did a 66-10 image clear, and then tested the scan to same folder with no problem.

Customer called back right after I left and said they got "Communication with selected server is lost while sending image. Consult network admin".

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation before and if its really with the machine or the network as I'm leaning towards the network. The machine works perfectly every time I go, go figure.

Appreciate the help!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX-3610n scanning to network folder

Re: MX-3610n scanning to network folder

Almost sounds like they need to have their IT dept. look into it. If the copier is working fine and scans do not complete the selected path, that usually falls under IT. Are they using Sharpdesk for scanning?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

I would check your address settings for the network folder. See if it is using the network folders computer name or IP address. Have had this happen when the computer name is used (\\mycomputer\scans), once I switched it to the IP address (\\192.168.xxx.xxx\scans) the problem was resolved. There is actually a tech tip or bulletin somewhere that helps with troubleshooting scan to folder issues and this is one of the steps to try.

Good luck.

Bil

Aha found it. Hope this helps.scantofoldertroubleshooting.pdf

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would suggest checking the address to see if it is using the Computer name or IP address. After that I would check to make sure you have a local dns server set as primary followed by another external dns server. Also verify username and password. Sometimes passwords set by admins will expire and they do not know it has expired. I usually remind them if they create an account to use for the MFPs that they set it to not expire. Another think I have seen is if the connection is set to public rather than private/work/home. lastly.....sometimes scans will fail if the mfp is installed on a 10/100 network and the nic speed is not forced down to this speed. Yes it will auto detect and run at that speed but I have seen some situations where it has to be forced. There is a tech bulletin on Sharp IDNC about how to do this. Search Nic speed. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Almost sounds like they need to have their IT dept. look into it. If the copier is working fine and scans do not complete the selected path, that usually falls under IT. Are they using Sharpdesk for scanning?
    That's what I was thinking too, especially when I cannot ping out to the google server sometimes. They're just using Network Folder, no Sharpdesk, which also makes me think it falls under IT...they set up all the scanning as well....

Thanks!