Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motors MX-4070

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Motors MX-4070

Motors MX-4070

We are seeing an issue here with the following motors: See attached picture. I can certainly take more pictures if needed. The 3 motors in the picture were from 1 system with under 50k total (approx 34k black and 12k color). Various error codes depending on which motor actually fails first.

20181106_112719.jpg

RMOTP1045FCP1 - Paper feed motor
    RMOTP1068FCPZ - Process motor BK
    RMOTP1063FCPZ - Process motor

I have seen this issue on 3 different MX-4070N systems. These motors fail with the gear being stripped away. One of these systems only had approx 20k on it before the motor failed. Typically it is one motor that fails before the others, but the other 2 are close behind. We learned to check all three now. Has anyone else seen this issue? Perhaps a fix? Thanks as always for any assistance.

Technician

Re: Motors MX-4070

we also are having the same issue doesn't make sense sense they ride against plastic gears how does metal wear out before plastic. We changed the whole drive unit and motors and so far so good.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Motors MX-4070

Quote Originally Posted by mike2565 View Post
    we also are having the same issue doesn't make sense sense they ride against plastic gears how does metal wear out before plastic. We changed the whole drive unit and motors and so far so good.

YES!!!! That is what I am saying!

We were replacing just the motors thinking it was a "one off" kind of thing and were monitoring it. Then we had one of them backordered and couldn't get it, so I looked into getting the whole drive unit to try that. I did it once and have been keeping an eye on it, but they have only run about 10k since I installed it.

Thanks for your response. I was feeling out on an island on this one! Nothing on here or service bulletins ....etc. Usually I can wait it out, or find enough answers before I have to create a thread. hahah

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I have had this on at least 5 of the new machines (3070-4070) and various other models.
    It boils down to a crap design.
    The previous models had a motor for each color, four motors, four colors. The new machines have a motor for black and ONE motor for all three colors. Only 1 motor running all three drums amd DV is too much, thus those motors strip. We had this on a desktop c300 a few weeks back and it was the same crap design.
    I had a 4070 that did this motor stripping twice and the main drive motor had to be replaced.

Additionally, this crap design is made worse by not only clogged toner tubes and hoppers (F2-6x & F2-7x codes), but also drum unit with seizing augers.
    It cant drive a normal amount of toner in the three DV boxes, imagine the increased load when the DV tanks are over stuffed with toner.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

I dug out some more documentation on this issue. The link at the bottom links to the photos but there are a few common symptoms this issue will create.

1. F2-6x codes with the toner cart ejected from the machine. Anytime I see the toner peaking out, I check for no drive or a clogged tube / hopper. You can also use SIM 10-2 to check the hopper sensors (5070-6070) for clogs. The sensor that does not change states is clogged and will have to be purged or removed and cleaned out. 3070-4070 do not have these sensors.
    2. DV entrance ports are filled the the rim. In the photos, you can see how all three color DV units are crammed full of toner. You can also see the stalled toner clustered at the rear.
    3. Horrible noise when color copying or printing. I have had techs go in and run BW prints and close the call having never tested the color side. SIM 25-1 ensures all items are run and tested; believe me, you cant miss that noise.

Here is the link to the photos : Sharp MX-4070 F2-6x codes and stripping drive motors - Album on Imgur

Hope this helps

EDIT: disregard that bright magenta blob in photo 9. Has nothing to do with this post, but believe it or not there IS a developer unit under there.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Motors MX-4070

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    I dug out some more documentation on this issue. The link at the bottom links to the photos but there are a few common symptoms this issue will create.

1. F2-6x codes with the toner cart ejected from the machine. Anytime I see the toner peaking out, I check for no drive or a clogged tube / hopper. You can also use SIM 10-2 to check the hopper sensors (5070-6070) for clogs. The sensor that does not change states is clogged and will have to be purged or removed and cleaned out. 3070-4070 do not have these sensors.
    2. DV entrance ports are filled the the rim. In the photos, you can see how all three color DV units are crammed full of toner. You can also see the stalled toner clustered at the rear.
    3. Horrible noise when color copying or printing. I have had techs go in and run BW prints and close the call having never tested the color side. SIM 25-1 ensures all items are run and tested; believe me, you cant miss that noise.

Here is the link to the photos : Sharp MX-4070 F2-6x codes and stripping drive motors - Album on Imgur

Hope this helps

EDIT: disregard that bright magenta blob in photo 9. Has nothing to do with this post, but believe it or not there IS a developer unit under there.
    Wow, we haven't seen any that bad. We have had a couple DV units show the symptom above, but were able to clear them out and move along. Thanks for the info though, seems any info will be solid at this point until something gets figured out. I have never had to even look at one of those types of motors previously, not I am getting good at replacing them. ha

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Motors MX-4070

Just had two of these last week.

All three motors mentioned, show signs of wear, but motor that failed in both cases is color dv motor.

Both machines extremely low copy count.....only thing they have in common is their location.....both deliveries were an hour plus away and were delivered with toner and dv units in place.

Was just curious if this may be the cause

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Motors MX-4070

It seems there will be a rash of customer complaints to Sharp very soon.

We have had 1 main motor replacement and 10 motor replacement, 9 of 10 being color.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Motors MX-4070

You might try Kyocera part number: M014600050 FLOIL G2-Z55 50G

We saw this same exact problem on the Kyocera Harrier series fuser drive unit. There was some changing of gears and motors, but I think the biggest difference was the lubricant. Many techs replaced drive assemblies and saw improvement. I changed the worn gears and motor, cleaned all the gear teeth with toothbrush and orange oil solvent, then lubricated the gear teeth with this FLOIL. Huge improvement.

FLOIL G2-Z55 50G
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=