Thread: Ar-5520

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Service@PRT's Avatar

Ar-5520

Got a call from an old client which the machine is getting paper jam. So i went there and see whats really causing the paper jam. And it was the paper clutch... Its broken. As i know which model it is i brought some parts with me and i got new clutch and a used one but still working good. I installed the new one and its work good. With this i only tested white copy. So i thought everything is ok. I tried copy with our invoice to check the copy quality and its cut as with the attached picture.. i tried with the used one also.. its the same.. even with the print it is half!!! .. i checked the lead void at sm 50-01 /its 50 by the default.. i played it with but to no avail still same result..

Can anyone enlighten me with this trouble.

Thank you

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

Every day of life is a learning process...
    Just make sure you are open in all aspects of comments.

Re: Ar-5520

Did you try the bypass if the copy is the same? If it is the same the next one is the PS clutch or try the MFP board.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Service@PRT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonjon View Post
    Did you try the bypass if the copy is the same? If it is the same the next one is the PS clutch or try the MFP board.
    Yeah tried.. its the ps clutch.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

Every day of life is a learning process...
    Just make sure you are open in all aspects of comments.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ar-5520

When you install the clutch there will be a notch to keep the clutch coil from rotating when the clutch is engaged. If you were to install the clutch without the notch engaged, the clutch housing will rotate 1/4 turn before the registration roller starts to rotate also. As a result the paper arrives late to the drum. If it's left this way for a while the tugging at the wires will break one of the wires to the clutch, then you'll get another opportunity to replace that clutch. So is the notch properly aligned?

Another reason you might see this effect is if the electromagnetic clutch has been oiled. Please don't tell me that you oiled the clutch.

It is a common misconception that electromagnetic clutches use friction to spin up the drive. Those same individuals are known to sand the surface of the clutch plates to increase the friction. As per the name, electromagnetic clutches use magnetism. You'll get the strongest magnetic effect when you have the most contact area. So what does sanding do? It reduces the contact area. Less of the clutch plates make contact, so there is less magnetic attraction. So don't sand your clutch. It only makes it worse.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ar-5520

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    When you install the clutch there will be a notch to keep the clutch coil from rotating when the clutch is engaged. If you were to install the clutch without the notch engaged, the clutch housing will rotate 1/4 turn before the registration roller starts to rotate also. As a result the paper arrives late to the drum. If it's left this way for a while the tugging at the wires will break one of the wires to the clutch, then you'll get another opportunity to replace that clutch. So is the notch properly aligned?
    Another reason you might see this effect is if the electromagnetic clutch has been oiled. Please don't tell me that you oiled the clutch.
    It is a common misconception that electromagnetic clutches use friction to spin up the drive. Those same individuals are known to sand the surface of the clutch plates to increase the friction. As per the name, electromagnetic clutches use magnetism. You'll get the strongest magnetic effect when you have the most contact area. So what does sanding do? It reduces the contact area. Less of the clutch plates make contact, so there is less magnetic attraction. So don't sand your clutch. It only makes it worse.
    =^..^=
    damn did you ever work in the Raleigh area? I ran across TOO many oiled clutches and torque limiters in the field! I guess you found the OTHER half!

Ar-5520

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    damn did you ever work in the Raleigh area? I ran across TOO many oiled clutches and torque limiters in the field! I guess you found the OTHER half!
    Years back we had a tech that him oil fixed everything: electromagnetic clutches, leather friction pads sprockets, chains, timing belts, wire ropes ... everything.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ar-5520

Years back we had a tech that him oil fixed everything: electromagnetic clutches, leather friction pads sprockets, chains, timing belts, wire ropes ... everything.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ar-5520

=^..^=
    I guess I never thought that sanding would be bad for the clutch. I have in the past lightly sanded to get rid of stuck on particles. What would you recommend to use to clean? I use alcohol as well. I try this before replacing the clutch, to limp it through, as sometimes our parts are a pain to get in on time.

Thanks

Ar-5520

I use alcohol to clean clutches, but usually by the time you have symptoms it's only a short term solution. We still have some models out there that the clutches cannot be disassembled. Alcohol works well to penetrate and free up sticky parts, and evaporates away cleanly. =^..^=