Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

MX-M266N printing issue

Customer has a MX-M266N Recently the customer called for some help reloading a print driver. I helped her on the phone, it seemed to load oK but would not print. I ran by today to take a look. Reloaded the driver and all went well but still wont print. Machine will ping I can get to the webpage. Auto configure works, User codes are not being used. A few interesting observations, they have 2 laptops that are connected wirlessly they are the ones that wont print but they can still get to web page & I have double checked subnet mask and default gateway . They have a desktop that is connected via ethernet cable it prints. When I looked at the webpage I noticed that the Machine data on the top page was missing and that there was some erronious entries in the LDAP settings none that make any sense and this customer never heard of LDAP. I suspect the machine got smacked by voltage surge or spike. It has a decent Surge supressor on it but things still get trough sometimes. I suspect I need to do A reset to the machine but am unsure of the best way to wipe its little brain back to Factory. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Re: MX-M266N printing issue

Quote Originally Posted by xring1958 View Post
    Customer has a MX-M266N Recently the customer called for some help reloading a print driver. I helped her on the phone, it seemed to load oK but would not print. I ran by today to take a look. Reloaded the driver and all went well but still wont print. Machine will ping I can get to the webpage. Auto configure works, User codes are not being used. A few interesting observations, they have 2 laptops that are connected wirlessly they are the ones that wont print but they can still get to web page & I have double checked subnet mask and default gateway . They have a desktop that is connected via ethernet cable it prints. When I looked at the webpage I noticed that the Machine data on the top page was missing and that there was some erronious entries in the LDAP settings none that make any sense and this customer never heard of LDAP. I suspect the machine got smacked by voltage surge or spike. It has a decent Surge supressor on it but things still get trough sometimes. I suspect I need to do A reset to the machine but am unsure of the best way to wipe its little brain back to Factory. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    A reset and firmware update definitely fix a lot of weird issues.

From what you describe it's possible the laptops could be on their "guest WiFi". Many newer WiFi access points broadcast 2 networks, a guest WiFi and a secured WiFi. The guest WiFi will have internet but will block certain communications between other computers or device. Since the desktop can print, it seems there may be issue with their network or those two laptops. It's also possible Firewall software on the laptops could be blocking print traffic.

I agree with D_L_P, you might also want to go into the control panel on the two laptops and go to Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>Advanced Network Sharing and make sure file and print sharing are enabled on both private and guest networks.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'm guessing SDcard trouble.

Seems to strange to be anything else

Anytime I find the solution to a weird issue I try to supply the solution.

We went back out with another tech to see if different eyes see a better solution.

This time the tech that went out with me retraced all of the stuff I did with no improved result.

Then I reset the NIC with Sim 67-17 this got the laptop nearest to the computer functioning and my laptop as well.

I previously noticed surge suppressor was clicking occasionally but not the buzzing noise normal when they fail. I was going to replace it but when I touched it I noticed the 6 outlet adapter was very loose in the outlet and shifted and made one click. I wonder if it was sort of switching off and on enough to confuse the machine and cause the abnormalities on the webpage.

There was another laptop that was also connecting wirelessly that still wouldn't print. We reinstalled the driver and it still failed to print so we connected with ethernet cable.

note: it didn't stay in the que nor was it in job status. For some reason the other tech entered the IP address manually in the ports section of the driver so it was now the third copy of that IP address then it started working, but I am not sure why it required that.

[QUOTE=D_L_P;718402]A reset and firmware update definitely fix a lot of weird issues.

I did a FW update at time of call

Technician

You didn't happen to mention the type of port used for printing (LPR versus Raw, if Standard TCP/IP Printing). Hopefully they were not trying to use WSD. WSD is the biggest piece of junk! We disable using a clone during setup of all of our equipment.

Technician

Cool Re: MX-M266N printing issue

Hi, question, Are any of these machines Mac's, if they are MX-M266N copier requires mX-PK11 Postscript® 3™ Kit license, Are these computers Window 32 or 64 bits.
    Sound to me like a driver problem.

Good luck,

Andy

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

If your having issues printing or even access the web page of the copier just run a ping to the copier IP address and then unplug the network cable and see if you still get a response, could be a duplicate IP causing issues also.

Not Macs pings worked and we could get on the web page. A lot of it ended up being their network. We had to move the machine to a different ethernet port. Even after that one of the windows computers was still problematic. They Got a new Internet provider and all seems stable for now.

Thanks for the reply's