Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Sharp MX 3640N Void areas intermittent

Re: Sharp MX 3640N Void areas intermittent

Quote Originally Posted by Demon33 View Post
    I had this problem once & it was the bushing/spring on the first transfert roller. The bushing is held by 2 plastic clips and one was broken.

Try changing the primary belt assembly for a test if possible
    Thanks, I'll look at that. I had a brand new primary transfer belt (frontier series) drop the bushings on a color roller last month. They weren't broke, they just fell out and were sitting on the developer unit. I just put them back in and it's been fine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I've had the machine in the shop for a few days and so far I cannot recreate the void areas.
    Environmental? (noisy line voltage), paper? (now spent), loose connection? (cold solder joint) be back to bite me in the a$$? (probably)

At least the doc feeder noise is fixed. Had to remove the paper feed area from the feeder and clean, lube & inspect. It wasn't hard to remove (it looked worse than it was). About 6-8 screws and the whole section comes off. The steps are in the manual, but they only really seem clear after you take it apart.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with helpful comments. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    Yes, only on black (as far as I can tell). I ran sky shots of each color and could not reproduce the problem.

I've had paper bite me in the behind a few times over the years. So yeah, I wish I would have swapped the paper out, just to eliminate the possibility. But I didn't, so shame on me.

I put a loaner on site and I have the machine in the shop. So I will be looking at it more closely today. It also has an oil resistant squeaky noise in the Doc feeder, so I get rip that apart too.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond with suggestions.
    Check your mag roller in the DV unit ...somehow tiny fragments of metal get stuck to the mag roller and that will cause you avoid lines it's really difficult to get it out of there because it's magnetic easiest ways to change it but I have cleaned them before and they have been successful

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daileyrobn714 View Post
    Check your mag roller in the DV unit ...somehow tiny fragments of metal get stuck to the mag roller and that will cause you avoid lines it's really difficult to get it out of there because it's magnetic easiest ways to change it but I have cleaned them before and they have been successful

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Good tip, I'll take a look at that before I return the machine next week.
    Thanks.
    I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had a mx3140 do the exact same thing on black only. turned out to be primary belt...not the unit just the belt itself. looked it over closely and since outside was perfect i cut it in half and found a small scratch through the back surface of the belt. machine has been in field for about 2 years since that issue and it has never came back.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post
    I had a mx3140 do the exact same thing on black only. turned out to be primary belt...not the unit just the belt itself. looked it over closely and since outside was perfect i cut it in half and found a small scratch through the back surface of the belt. machine has been in field for about 2 years since that issue and it has never came back.
    Thanks for adding that info.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Did you fix thia already? Im curious what fixed it. Looked liked charge or dv unit shorting

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by romang View Post
    Did you fix thia already? Im curious what fixed it. Looked liked charge or dv unit shorting
    I was not able to recreate the problem when I brought the machine to the shop, so I was unable to isolate & identify the cause.
    When the machine was at the customer location and the problem was still occurring, I swapped the black drum unit with a good one. The drum unit change did not correct the problem. So all I know for sure, is that it was not a drum unit problem. I also checked (and cleaned) the laser glass very carefully, so it was unlikely that the voids were from foreign object debris in the laser path.

So far the voids have not come back.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

I'm having the same problem on a MX3640.

Only happens on the second half of A3 Black pages. (See samples below). Cannot replicate with single colours. Image is on the transfer when stopped mid print.

Machine is at about 450k with regular servicing.

Paper is 75gsm.

Have tried the following:
    Replaced Primary Transfer Unit
    Replaced Black Drum and Charge
    Tried another Dev unit
    Replaced Laser Unit
    Tried different power outlets.

A3 issue.pdfA3 issue 2.pdf

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

That looks like the same problem I was having. I was not able to isolate the cause. I removed the machine from the customers location and brought it to the shop. I was not able to recreate the void problem again. I returned the machine to the customer and have not had the problem again.

I hope you are able to figure this out. I would really like to know the cause.