Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Sharp MX-M620 developer on the loose

Have a customer with a Sharp MX-M620 with 1.8 million prints. Lately it's had an issue with spreading developer in odd places . I find a lot of it in and on the front side of the paper cassettes. It doesn't make sense how the developer is getting in there. Around the developing unit itself is clean. I checked the main charger unit, thinking maybe that the grid was damaged or loose.
    Just wondering if someone has seen this before. thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX-M620 developer on the loose

Is it developer or toner. Have had this model do both. Are you using OEM toners? 1.8 million it could possibly be the DV unit going bad but most likely it is toner dropping from the waste toner chute onto the trays. You should also have some on the inner front door. When you take the DV unit out and tip it slightly front to rear does material pour out? If so then it is the DV unit.

Good luck.

Bil

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Sharp MX-M620 developer on the loose

I am assuming you have done the basics, made sure L/R seals have been replaced and made sure charge is not shorting out. If it is the original developing unit it could be leaking due to the seals on the inside augers are worn or cracked, allowing the developer to leak out through the brass bearings, or the brass bearings have worn making them elliptical where the shafts rotate, also causing leaks. Tilt the developing unit either forward or backwards over some white paper and see if developer falls on it. It might be time for a new DV unit.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It is definitely developer . The developing unit does not show signs leaking out the side. However the main charge and the dv unit are originals. I should just update both. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would say replace the drum unit and DV units. I usually do that about every million or so and have never seen this issue and I have some original dragons in the field pushing 5 million. I have found that these machines run forever if you do drum ka kb and dv on time. I have seen some that will pull dv if the cycles are pushed and i know the newer dragon3/taurus machines do it also when the cycles are ignored.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for your help . I replaced the DV unit and developer. Developer was leaking from bushings.