Technician

Unhappy MX-5141 image issue

Customer has a MX-5141 with around 90k black and 50k color. All supplies have plenty of life left. Machine was shipped to them from another office so it's not one they purchased from us. Don't know how long they've had it but it was supposedly working fine until someone thought the file size of the scans was too large and got into the settings and tried to make the file size smaller. They don't know what was done or if from webpage or console and the person who did it is no longer there.

The issue is that if you make a copy OR scan an original to your computer the image is slightly out of focus - best way I can describe it - and color copies/images look blurred for the top two thirds of the image while the bottom third is ok. If you rotate the image on the glass then the opposite portion of the image is affected. The problem is on the rear frame side. To illustrate if you copy the Sharp sunflower test chart with the multicolored map with the heavy black stripe running across the width of the page at the rear frame side when the image comes out on paper or computer screen the heavy black band is not black but green then black then red but is the same width as the original. With a mainly text color document the top two thirds of text are greenish-black while the bottom third is a nice solid black.

I would be inclined to think the problem was a drum phase issue but self prints at the machine are flawless as are print jobs sent from the computer - as long as they are not something that was scanned in first.

Drum phase calibration, color calibration, and CCD calibration have been run just to be sure but as I said self prints and prints from computer are flawless. The problem only shows up copying or scanning. Any ideas appreciated!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: MX-5141 image issue

Have you run sim 50-28 auto image adjustment?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX-5141 image issue

Did they have that problem prior to customer changing settings? Have you put machine back to factory defaults? If it is only from the glass, its possible the mirrors could be out of place on one side, due to the move, as the mfp was not put into sim to lock the optics prior to move. Adjustment 6A page 5-22 in the service manual.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

i would check the scanner rails for debris and clean them along with the little wheels on the scanner unit itself. i would do all of the scanner unit adjustments as if you replaced the ccd unit to just make sure all is in place. i have had a similar issue before and resolved it with a new ccd and scanner control board. the reason for replacing both is because there are old and new versions of each part and old cannot be mixed with a new one. could have that issue also....hope this helps/