Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Service Department New Building-Thoughts and Input

We are a small Sharp Only dealer that recently renovated adjourning building from a barber shop to a new showroom up front and service department in the back. Looking for feedback on Ideal Service Department set up. How does your Companys service department set up work for you.. Everything is complete except the area where any rebuilding of Fusers, Webs, Transfer Belts, Process Units, etc.. will take place. If you had to do it over what are a few things you would ensure to incorporate.. Would Love to see any pictures from your Service Department you are willing to share.. Look forward to hearing everyone’s Thoughts, Ideas, and Solutions.

[IMG]blob:http://www.copytechnet.com/6b8c07c5-e621-4e3e-a28b-d45b545f71d8[/IMG]

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Service Department New Building-Thoughts and Input

I can't tell if you're new to the business or not. I don't want to give patronizing advise.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    I can't tell if you're new to the business or not. I don't want to give patronizing advise.

Company been around for 23 years. Outgrown current location and this is First time we’ve had the pleasure of being able to have a build to suit opportunity.. Don’t want to regret not thinking of something later. Family owned Dealership with 4 techs. We try and rebuild/repair units where some cost savings could be achieved. I’m well aware of parts price of units and to order that same unit as a supply item price difference. I know a lot of the units are not worth price of labor and HK LH and WB kits as far as rebuilding goes but there are some units.. Been tearing apart Fusers since Cougar and Tiger series With a few Bear and Whales along the way. This week we have Nine or Ten Dragon III’s all with at least 2 Million clicks getting upgraded to the Taurus 2.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Shop area..... lighting is key as well as hanging outlets and data ports.

A cleaning bay.
    Somewhere you can go ape with a blower or compressed air.
    Lots and lots work top space.
    A cage for refurbed and unrefurbed machines were the shop/field monkeys cant get to them.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

make sure you have 20 amp outlets too

Technician

Thanks for the responses I really like the cage idea. All though ive been one to “borrow” a part at times to get customer back up and running. I attached a few pics what I really want is suggestions on that long wall for work stations. Our setup next door was almost like a countertop but was thicker and below was custom built storage that were really handy and of course the air line and vacuum and above was two more shelves as long as countertop that held Most maintenance items. Floor is not the most level don’t know why that wasn’t addressed in renovations so leaning towards another counter top and some sort of storage above or below - probably both. I just hated the clutter that began to overrun the smaller space we had for service. Still looking for a few pics if possible. Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Caged New/Rebuilt parts area.
    Cleaning area : refer vac on every station in enclosed room. (Compressed Air blowing out parts KILLS the lungs)
    Also Plenty of Cloth AND Paper/Yellow Toner wipes
    Cleaning Solution of every type in each station
    (do tech cart their own tools to the station or are they supplied at each station *borrow*)
    Shelves/Rack/Bins for disassembled units? (waiting on parts?)
    Anti-Stat mats/wrist at tech bencehs?

Yes Allan ... GREAT Lighting..NetPorts..ample Power 3/6 outlets..USB..

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Caged New/Rebuilt parts area.
    Cleaning area : refer vac on every station in enclosed room. (Compressed Air blowing out parts KILLS the lungs)
    Also Plenty of Cloth AND Paper/Yellow Toner wipes
    Cleaning Solution of every type in each station
    (do tech cart their own tools to the station or are they supplied at each station *borrow*)
    Shelves/Rack/Bins for disassembled units? (waiting on parts?)
    Anti-Stat mats/wrist at tech bencehs?

Yes Allan ... GREAT Lighting..NetPorts..ample Power 3/6 outlets..USB..

Unfortunately we we did not section off an enclosed section for containing all the toner and developer dust that accumulates oh so quickly we do have a side room in the back that was going to be for supplies but we might have to rethink that esp. with showroom being within 20 ft with no tight seal separating the two. Here lately I’ve been the only one who tackles a rebuild of any sort. And time for that has become less and less. We did just get two new carts with intention of pulling them up and having all your tools but usually just working out of own tool bag. I didn’t get any pics of the racks that house units ready to go. And do have shelving for units waiting for parts or to be addressed.. still have a lot of misc parts and supplies that need to be brought over. As well Stuff that soon as you toss it you’ll be looking for it and needing it..

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tr210907 View Post
    Unfortunately we we did not section off an enclosed section for containing all the toner and developer dust that accumulates oh so quickly we do have a side room in the back that was going to be for supplies but we might have to rethink that esp. with showroom being within 20 ft with no tight seal separating the two. Here lately I’ve been the only one who tackles a rebuild of any sort. And time for that has become less and less. We did just get two new carts with intention of pulling them up and having all your tools but usually just working out of own tool bag. I didn’t get any pics of the racks that house units ready to go. And do have shelving for units waiting for parts or to be addressed.. still have a lot of misc parts and supplies that need to be brought over. As well Stuff that soon as you toss it you’ll be looking for it and needing it..
    Well it's all a learning process.. of course EVERY situation is different. I ASSumed you were asking what -=I=- would like to see.
    But.. basic WS needs I think have been stated.
    Besides setting up my own gig.. I have outfitted 3 businesses as I have laid out.. YES costly at first.. pays off in the long run...
    Just my 2 pennies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk