Sharp MX2651 User authentication

Hi there we have just started using our brand new Sharp MX-2651, nice machine, and testing user control to manage print limitations.
    At the moment we have opted for user code number authentication, thus users are required to enter personal code to make copies or prints.

Particularly, the trouble is that for prints, each user is forced either to enter code on each print, or to store permanently the code in the printing preferences, however this is required on each computer!

As the printer exposes a connection to active directory, I was wondering if it could be possible to configure the printer driver to pick data from active directory for current user automating prints, avoiding users to enter credentials each time.

I have tried to link printer config to Active Directory but this fails as probably the configuration settings/strings are wrong.

Would it be possible? Any hint on the correct syntax/strings to enter to allow Active directory authentication? Can the MFP be configured to allow code authentication for copies and Active Directory automated authentication for prints?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Sharp MX2651 User authentication

If I understand the question correctly......

I don't believe you can combine login via AD and PIN printing

Thanks mate,
    let's say we would stick to active directory logjn/authorisation:
    - Would this allow user to authenticate automatically without requiring to fill-in username & password in the job control dialog?
    s7.jpg

- would this require to enter username and password each time a user wants to make a copy from the MFP?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I think you could set this up in printing preferences ....... only downfall would be you would have to change preferences whenever domain credentials change

Quote Originally Posted by mansart View Post
    I think you could set this up in printing preferences ....... only downfall would be you would have to change preferences whenever domain credentials change
    But each user is required to do so on every computer they use!
    Last edited by SeaBreeze; 04-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

This is what you are looking for: TT-032916_4R

only problem is, i cant seem to upload it

but found it online: http://equipmybiz.com/wp-content/upl...ntegration.pdf

Thanks mate, I read that paper a week a go but I couldn't make it to work. Will try again.

However, if enabling active directory integration will require users entering username & passwords also for copies (not prints), this becomes useless: Can you imagine users typing all that stuff for each copy (username and long passwords) from the MFP panel? Crazy!
    That's why the mixed scenario would be perfect:

1. Use code from MFP panel to make copies
    2. Use active directory integration for prints (without requiring user to enter its credentials in the job control properties)

Best from both worlds

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ridgemill's Avatar

You can enable the authentication dialog, so that the user has to enter their user code everytime they print: Devices & Printers > the queue for the copier > Printer Properties > Configuration > Printing Policy > User Authentication

If the queue is set on a server, this will only need to be done once for it to affect everyone; however if the drivers are installed locally it will need to be done for each PC and for each login on said PC.