Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX4141 squeaking from web unit.

I have been to customer 3 times for this problem. Call for squeaking, noise comming from web. the fuser is still pretty fresh from a rebuild not too many copies ago. The web is pretty dark with toner overall and at the contact point it is heavy toner buildup that is causing the squeaking. If I advance the web to a fresh spot ofcourse the noise goes away. I dont have the book in front of me but there were two different sims that sounded like it would advance the web at a quicker rate. They dont seem to be making any difference because in about a week and a half or two weeks the problem is back. It looks like they are printing full color posters on 11x17 with the wrong heat settings but they say they are not. Customer has had machine for a while and this problem is recent. The fuser itself does not look all overloaded with toner,only the web. I have to go back tomorrow. I am going to double check that all lamps are working,other than that I am not real sure.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MX4141 squeaking from web unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    I have been to customer 3 times for this problem. Call for squeaking, noise comming from web. the fuser is still pretty fresh from a rebuild not too many copies ago. The web is pretty dark with toner overall and at the contact point it is heavy toner buildup that is causing the squeaking. If I advance the web to a fresh spot ofcourse the noise goes away. I dont have the book in front of me but there were two different sims that sounded like it would advance the web at a quicker rate. They dont seem to be making any difference because in about a week and a half or two weeks the problem is back. It looks like they are printing full color posters on 11x17 with the wrong heat settings but they say they are not. Customer has had machine for a while and this problem is recent. The fuser itself does not look all overloaded with toner,only the web. I have to go back tomorrow. I am going to double check that all lamps are working,other than that I am not real sure.
    We had several new fusers shipped that would do this fairly soon after install. The chain of 3 or 4 small gears on the fuser that interlock with the web weren't seated nicely (tooth on tooth) causing them to get smushed. The web couldn't advance. We had to replace the gears.

Yours was rebuilt but maybe the web ass'y wasn't installed just right and now the gears are damaged.

Something to look at.

JR2ALTA I think you were right about those gears. I read a recent post about this but I didnt think my symptoms were the same. I did replace all those web drive gears and I believe that is gonna fix the problem. Thanks

Senior Tech 50+ Posts

I've had several of that series in the last couple of weeks do exactly the same thing you noted. Wait a week later and they call back with the same problem.
    I tried making the web move a bit more, and even a different fuser unit. Same thing.
    I changed the web motor (section 38, item 18 in the parts manual) the one with the yellow sticker, have not heard back in two months.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I've had several of that series in the last couple of weeks do exactly the same thing you noted. Wait a week later and they call back with the same problem.
    I tried making the web move a bit more, and even a different fuser unit. Same thing.
    I changed the web motor (section 38, item 18 in the parts manual) the one with the yellow sticker, have not heard back in two months.
    YMMV
    Thanks for the reply,just to try to put a stop to this problem I replaced everything from the web motor and gear in the delivery unit,all the gears in the fuser and we had a new web unit so I put that on too. With the fuser out I can rotate the web with the gear by hand and I couldnt turn the gear by hand before so I think it is good now.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts danceswrabbit's Avatar

had an aries do this at a customers doing 11x17 drawings. Got them to run their 11x17 as heavy 1 and havent been back for that.

Quote Originally Posted by danceswrabbit View Post
    had an aries do this at a customers doing 11x17 drawings. Got them to run their 11x17 as heavy 1 and havent been back for that.
    Thanks for the reply. This customer has had the machine for a while now.,It is a church and they do their weekly bullitens. We have the thick paper settings and all that stuff down-was a prob in the beginning. But this problen is something that has just developed recently. Time will tell but I think it is good now.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would suggest replacing all the bearings at rebuild and use krytox xht-s or gpl205 grease on them and all the gear shafts. never getting any noise problems unless its the web motor that needs replacing. generally we run the units as follows. newfuser > replace web and clean scraper blade at first cycle end > next cycle end full rebuild and new bearings and scraper blade> run one more cycle to where you would replace the web and just replace the unit. I have found doing this is about as far as they will go before developing H4 issues or making it too costly to continue the rebuild cycle.

Well, this problem came back today.I made sure the web would advance in the web check sim and it did. I put a pen mark on the web and when cust called back today the mark had not moved. I dont get it. I replaced the motor,it was used but a working machine. I replaced all the gears from the web motor down with new gears. I put a brand new web unit on there. Not sure what else is left.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    Well, this problem came back today.I made sure the web would advance in the web check sim and it did. I put a pen mark on the web and when cust called back today the mark had not moved. I dont get it. I replaced the motor,it was used but a working machine. I replaced all the gears from the web motor down with new gears. I put a brand new web unit on there. Not sure what else is left.
    Did you clear the web counter after replacing?