Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Sharp MX-2600N - MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Compatibility/Firmware Update

Hello - we use a MX-2600N in our Mac environment and have been struggling to get it to work for months with Mojave (pixelated image printing that others have referred to in the forum).

I saw a bulletin from Sharp stating that there would be a firmware update to fix the issue (release in April of 2019). Does anyone know if this has been released yet? I also can't find any updated drivers for 10.14 yet.

Are there any other workarounds? Our office needs to be able to print color accurate images to this printer.

Thanks for your help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX-2600N - MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) Compatibility/Firmware Update

Sharp posted a lot of firmware updates around that time. The 2600 however doesn't seem to be one of them. I have used the 10.13 driver in the 10.14 environment without any problems but not specifically with the 2600, but with the older 2700 series. Have had all kinds of software issues with Macs though when it updated to 10.14 which have mostly been resolved by updating the software programs, specifically word and PDF programs.

Good luck.

Bil

Master Technical Support best-tech's Avatar

Good day from Phoenix DJ, I have searched the Sharp database and I'm not finding the bulletin in question?
    Are you sure the bulletin specifically refers to the Sharp MX-2600? It may be just a typo, what is the bulletin number?
    If my memory serves me, that is a 2007-2008 model and it's looking like Sharp hasn't released any firmware for that machine since 2014. And I really can't see the need for the folks to write new firmware on a machine of that age. After all how many of these do you have left in the field? (It was a good model in its day).
    Don't know what part of the county you are in but have you called the hotline or talked to your regional guy?
    Our team supports several manufacturers and it's been a struggle across the board with Mojave and old technology.
    I will say that Sharp is a superior product in a MAC environment and they have been for some time.
    It's time to have a serious talk with your client. Let them know that you can't get there from here.
    Gotta go. Good luck & Cheers, JB

Thanks for your reply. Are there any generic (not Sharp) drivers that could be used to get the printer functional again?

Quote Originally Posted by best-tech View Post
    Good day from Phoenix DJ, I have searched the Sharp database and I'm not finding the bulletin in question?
    Are you sure the bulletin specifically refers to the Sharp MX-2600? It may be just a typo, what is the bulletin number?
    If my memory serves me, that is a 2007-2008 model and it's looking like Sharp hasn't released any firmware for that machine since 2014. And I really can't see the need for the folks to write new firmware on a machine of that age. After all how many of these do you have left in the field? (It was a good model in its day).
    Don't know what part of the county you are in but have you called the hotline or talked to your regional guy?
    Our team supports several manufacturers and it's been a struggle across the board with Mojave and old technology.
    I will say that Sharp is a superior product in a MAC environment and they have been for some time.
    It's time to have a serious talk with your client. Let them know that you can't get there from here.

Also, I've attached the bulletin from Sharp which specifically mentions the MX-2600.

ThanksMac OS 10.14 printing.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by best-tech View Post

Ahhh. A Canada tech tip no less. Be it Sharp USA or Canada, the key word is TIP. A tip can be a thought, a recommendation or an idea, but like they say, "best laid plans rarely come to fruition".
    I didn't realize that you were in Canada which means you have your own support network. That also means you have no access to the Sharp USA dealer support site.
    I hope you will trust me when I say that this Tech Tip and firmware, etc. are nowhere to be found on the US site. As of now, they do not exist.
    Cheers my friend .

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Morning from germany

change in the apple printer driver the layout to CMYK profil, it works

Cheers to the German folks and on top of it your English is spot on. Welcome sport. While changing your profile to CMYK may help hide the Mojave pixelated output issue, oh my what a can of worms this may create. Especially noticeable when printing critical color documents. If just text or line documents like blueprints where color is not critical then hey give it a try. But any attempt at color matching would be a nightmare.
    Hello to DJ my good friend, what is your client printing? Any photographs or critical color? I'll try my best to be the answer man .
    Cheers again to Germany & Canada .

Hey north of the border buddy my friend. Have you met with your client yet? I have bad news if you haven't. In my most recent conversation with Sharp support I asked about firmware for the MX-2600/MX-3100 series and have heard nothing other than crickets chirping. They have no knowledge of anything related to this nor do they have plans of developing new firmware. There are only a small handful of these old machines left in the field and writing new firmware could cost hundreds of thousands of (US) dollars and more than likely will not be reliable. It's like trying to install Win 10 on a Windows 98 box. It obviously can't be done. Sorry for the bad news my good Canadian friend. On a positive note for your client, Sharp and Apple/MAC have a great working relationship and their new products compatibility wise are the best hands down. Good luck and Cheers.