Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-Series Setting Up Accounts

Want to set up Accounting - access to color & b & w on the machine. I know I can set-up Acct Codes from the Copier itself. I have done this. I am looking to turn off Color Access Only, using an Acct Code - but need to do this through the Web Browser. Does anyone know if there is a specific Set-Up Manual for this? I should know this, but I don't.

Any direction on this would be appreciated.

Mountain Tech 50+ Posts
    There are several steps you have to take, first by setting up your groups then setting up the defaults for that group. I have always gone through the web page to set up. You have to start in the user control area of the web page to set up your groups. In the MX, you should have all of the manuals available to you and while not really easy to set up, the manuals will guide you through the process. The manuals are found at the bottom of the web page on the left side.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks - greatly appreciated.

Am I to understand that I can set up Accts within a Group and then, set up the Copier - as a walk up allow B&W Copying, and only have access to Color through Acct Codes?
    Last edited by Tech2002; 01-18-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Which MX specifically are you talking about ?
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Sharp Model MX-2700N.

Lightbulb There is usually a workaround.

There was a one-time firmware update to do what you're looking for. I don't have it & don't think it's still out there. The new 2600 & 3100 do have walk up B&W with authentication for color.
    On the older machines, 2300/2700/3501/4501, the only way around it is to cancel the clear timer so it doesn't log you out. As Art said, set up your groups/users etc through the web page. It's pretty easy, common sense stuff. I usually set up a general B&W account with either all 00000 if they log in with numbers, or if they authenticate by username/password, call the account B&W and have no password on it. After you've canceled the clear timer, log in to the black & white account. Now anyone can make copies, only having to log out and then log in with their account if they want color. This works well as my experience is very few people actually make color copies, most are print jobs. The only caveat to this is users need to hit the CA key after they are done since we've canceled the clear timer. This was the only workaround I could figure out. Someone else may have a better one.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    I assume you know how to set up authentication for color printing?
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have not yet set up any accounting on this machine since we started installing them. If anyone was trained to do this it seems no one has a clear idea on how to get through it. So in answer to your last comment the answer is no. At least I have not set up any portion of this.

When I set up the Authentication I did it in through the Copier itself. That is as far as I got. When I went into the Web Browser I was lost. But then I didn't have a lot of time to get through this so I told the client I'd be back to finish things for them.

Mountain Tech 50+ Posts
    If you can access the user guides from the web page, it does take you through the steps to set up groups. It has been awhile since I set up groups, and have to use the manuals to refresh my memory.

you are correct, Sharp didn't do anything as far as training for setup on these machines. There are some videos on IDNCService now regarding these.
    As far as printing goes, after you set up your users, you'll have to set their authentication code under the job handling tab. If they do not need color printing, set printing preference to B&W and leave the authent. blank. Any machine connected to print only needs authentication to print in color. If no authentication is entered, and you try to print in color, you'll hear the machine fire up but nothing will print.
    You can also set batch printing so users can come up to the machine, select their name, enter in the password & release all jobs for them in one shot. It's a pretty nice function.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for your assistance - One And All!!!

I pride myself in keeping up with this information, but sometimes fall short - again, my thanks.