Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry sharp ar286 with weird copy problem

I have a sharp that when You copy or print the image comes out reduced but only in one spot all the way down the page about 3 inches from the trail edge. The copies are clear can read everything fine its just like if your fonts were all caps just one letter for each line in the same spot straight down the page from side to side not lead to trail are not capiltilized. Like its reducing the image but just in that one spot down the page.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    sharp ar286 with weird copy problem

You may want to check out the Laser Unit. You are working with a fairly old system and they have been known to go bad. I forget the SIMMS Code but if you have it go in and test the Laser Unit. If you have another working Laser Unit they are fairly easy to swap out. If this isn't the issue you may want to checkout the Firmware - it may have been corrupted.

These machines are on all the time and are susceptible to surges, browns, and outages. If it isn't under protection - not the cheap stuff from Staples, it is a good idea to do so. Can save you a lot of electrical/board/firmware issues. Panamax (excellent unit) - Distributor: Katun good source and supplier. They have a unit specific to the voltage and wattage for any copier. I have them on all my machines and will not cover electrical issues in a service agreement unless the client purchases one of them from me.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    sharp ar286 with weird copy problem

If it were the laser one entire side of the image would be blurry, not compressed. This is a very common failure of the main drive assembly, possibly exacerbated by a seizing developing unit. The customer says something like: "It's using the wrong font. Some of the characters are narrower than others." See below:

Blurrs, compressions & expansions in the leading 4" of the copy. Only letter size paper, only the first copy in a continuous set, from any paper source on AR-285, AR-286. Defective main drive assembly. Replace the main drive assembly.

Background, heavy gray, along the front edge of copies & prints. Voids crossfeed @ 36mm intervals. Also loud gear noise. Main drive assy may have been replaced recently, on AR-405. Developing cylinder is siezing up, stressing the gears in the main drive assy. Replace the developing unit, developer, & main drive assy (if damaged).

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 250+ Posts
    Black cat is right. It must be a drive problem of some sorts. There is a large toothed gear that breaks on the dv unit, but usually causes light or blank copies. You may want to try replacing the main drive unit(it has the reg roller clutch on it as well. Also make sure the drum is not binding up.

I did fail to mention that I do have a manual, plus I have been in the field for 14+ years. I have checked all this out already and im sorry for not saying this. It happens on all copies, all paper sizes and is 4 inches from the trail not the lead edge. There is no background,voids,blurs, or noises. My techs have already replaced laser unit, dv, and the complete drive sytem. Plus the drum unit and reflashed the machine. Also they replaced the clutch pack for kicks. P.S. It may be time for a new one. lol

Would this reduction in font size be at the drum if you were to lay the page on the bed unit? Almost sounds like the paper is hesitating at fuser entry. This would cause image issues. Just a thought as I didn't see any mention to fuser parts being replaced.

Dave it is there before it reaches the fuser thanks though.

Agitating Artificer 250+ Posts CopierTechofOmens's Avatar
    Test prints the same? Is the image on the drum? 4" from the trail edge only... That's Registration roller/Sensor. I'd check to see if the Sensor arm was damaged causing the PS roller to disengage prematurely. Check the Transfer Corotron Assy. Wacky things happen when they aren't working...

Technician
    scan an example and post it here.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the icb fixed the problem. Thanks for the input guys.